Beautiful group and gorgeous BD!

Reactions: MariaS

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
All looking great there Maria
How do you find the flag tail with the rays?
jim barry jim barry ,

Thanks very much..
Had two flagtails... one when he got to about 15cm, started sucking the slime coat on the rays and eventually had to re-home him

The one I have now, again at about 15cm he started on the rays.. but we noticed that he would only do it to the brown rays..
My son first wouldnt believe me but agreed to move him to a tank where there was only the Leos and P14 at the time and.. he never touched any of those rays..

He is now about +/- 30cm and with the mantila and marble males and he is fine...

I have just bought another one, about 10cm, and has been in the pup tank for 3 weeks.. so far so good
I really like them as they colorful, peaceful and keep the wood spotless of any algae

Reactions: Bigfishnut

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Thank you cigars cigars ...

Yes... I love that BD girl... she is my favorite baby.. that's Polkadot..

Has an awesome character as well.. eats out your hand and has to come rub herself against your hand if you work in the tank. so have to watch her all the time!!.
You just freeze.. and let her move on at her own pace...

DanHOB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2017
Essex
www.facebook.com
Lovely selection you’ve got there!
Very, very nice!

Are you hoping to breed and sell them in SA where there is limited numbers, plus, if some breeds are expensive you could undercut their prices n clean up out there?

Reactions: tlindsey and MariaS

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Thanks very much DanHOB DanHOB ,

Yes, the plan is to breed them and hopefully make them a little more affordable here. as well as trying to drive a campaign on how to keep them.

We have sold the three hybrid babies directly to their new homes and not through the LFS,
in this way, people came to see the parents, how big they get so they know what they taking on
We also checked tanks and tank mates before letting the pups go and handed out care and feeding sheets which I have also posted on our local Tropical Aquarium forum in the hope that
people do read up on them and their care as, at the moment we know that too many pups are being lost as the LFS's are bringing them in but barely know how to look after them themselves, let alone teach the new owners how to care for them
Hoping to grow the hobby in the Country, which it is growing like crazy, but in the right way as they are too precious to lose

Reactions: cigars and DanHOB
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store