Over Head Filter - Flowerpot Style

danz

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2006
Escondido, ca
www.flowerhorncraze.com
You can only doge the electricity fight so many times from the wife and have to put the thinking cap on. After thinking filtration it makes perfect sense to have he filter on top then under the tank and lose head pressure and waste electricity. I browsed many koi sites looking at the bakki filter and asian fish sites seeing how they do them and merged 2 ideas together.

The flowerpot OHF :)

This was my test and proof of concept so over the next couple of months I am going to add another layer and build another set. One of the hardest things was finding a pump that was the best bang for the buck and I am using a MAXI-JET 900 which is only 8 watts of power for 230gph! For now I have built the bio unit and added some media on top but will be adding a second top layer that will be all mechanical filtering and the second all bio filtering.

102_1150.JPG

102_1154.JPG

102_1157.JPG

102_1162.JPG

danz

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2006
Escondido, ca
www.flowerhorncraze.com
These are the perfect size for my 125g which I can have the flowerpot, light then 1/2 of the glass top go in so no gaps for the aro to jump out and the lights are over the water so there is no distortion. I added this to experiment with bio filtration and with my fish load I do need mechanical till the bacteria is ready. Ive also got my hands on a stateside source for the bakki bio material so it will help out a lot. In the USA overhead filtration is really looked over and look how clean them asian tanks are so there has to be something to this :)

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
at my shop we sell alot of all in one tanks with over the top filters like yours and alot of people doubt there filtration capabilities i perosnally like them for the easies maintanence filter. i mean now getting your arm wet leaning oiver or anythign like that.

danz

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2006
Escondido, ca
www.flowerhorncraze.com
duke33;1886029; said:
Surely that one tank does'nt take that much juice. I'm running 12 with heaters and my bill only went up about $12.
My electricity bill runs about 200-300 (my whole house is electric) and there are multiple tanks in the house and looking to convert over all the tanks. In SoCal electricty goes for a premium since a chunk has been imported in from other grids. I was running 2 canisters and an ac110 on this but now all I run is this and the ac110 and I expect once I add another stack the power usage for this tank will be around 17w for filtration (2x8w powerheads and 1w for air)

The tank has been crystal clear since adding a layer of fine floss so will be adding new support brackets and adding a mechanical level this week.

Trippingpara

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
New England
Love the concept but doesn't it distract from the look of the tank? Unless of course its not a show tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store