Over Head Filter - Flowerpot Style

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
danz;2960860; said:
I have decommissioned this setups and replaced it with a professional created OHF with a more powerful pump.

I am sold on this style of filtration and any fish in this tank just looks stunning.

Pics? What kind of "more powerful pump"? How many watts? GPH?

danz

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2006
Escondido, ca
www.flowerhorncraze.com
This is 1 36" double stacked unit from Chingmix powered by a 515gph pump. On the bottom level I have it packed with bio media and the top I have my mechanical media to remove debris. I also have an ac110 on my 125g setup for mechanical/carbon and my water is crystal clear.

The flowerpot was a test of this style of filtration and worked good but needs to have lots of power to be efficient.

104_3227.jpg

104_3231.jpg

104_3237.jpg

104_3235.jpg

stixx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2008
NewYork City
I am aware that you decommissioned the initial set-up but since I'm about to set up a flower pot would you happen to remember what kind of pump did you use (I've got the Rio Aqua Plus 1400 Powerhead (Pump) Flow rate is 375 gph), and I am concerned about noise level and how did you resolve that problem? Thanks

danz

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2006
Escondido, ca
www.flowerhorncraze.com
xiahaolong168;2968708; said:
can you put a heater in those like wet dry filters???
no, there is no standing water

stixx;2968360; said:
I am aware that you decommissioned the initial set-up but since I'm about to set up a flower pot would you happen to remember what kind of pump did you use (I've got the Rio Aqua Plus 1400 Powerhead (Pump) Flow rate is 375 gph), and I am concerned about noise level and how did you resolve that problem? Thanks
I used a Maxijet 900 I believe 200gph or so. Noise wasn't bad, Ac100 is much louder and this new unit has a single outlet into the tank which helps with the noise and this setup there wasn't enough water flow to make a ton of noise.

Cashlaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2009
West Coast
Flower pot overhead filters rock . . . I've made a couple from the cheap plastic flower tubs from Home Depot (for a 30G and a 50G). They last a good six months before getting hard water build up and looking dirty on my tanks, but they are so easy to replace, it's no big deal. So much easier for smaller tanks than a sump and all that stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store