Overfeeding Stingrays?? Lead to problems down the road??

nickdog98

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2007
New Orleans LA
Check out these two links.. first one is a beautiful pic of a Sao Felix male.. bless his soul..
http://board.rochenwelt.eu/album_showpage.php?pic_id=331

Now, here is the same ray found this morning...
http://board.rochenwelt.eu/album_cat.php?cat_id=67

Check out the pics, squimish stomachs beware.. Notice how large the liver is from the ray and the discoloration. Now I want to emphasize that this did not directly kill this ray. From what I was told, there was a malfunction with the filtration of some sort. But, you guys think.. When is the last time we saw a nice Fat ray in the wild or come from the wild? Think it is possible that long term overfeeding could lead to organ failure from oversized livers and such? I know most people take a break with feeding every 4 days or say, but I also know there are many who feed 2-3 times a day steady..

What do you guys think?

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
I know that in mammals and birds, obesity acts almost the same as it does in humans. This is a very fat ray, might have been from complications caused by obesity. I say it is a definite possibility

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Interesting thoughts... theres a lot of emphasis put on bulking up rays, probably important to remember too much isn't good for anything.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
As voracious as rays are and I assume there is an abundance of worms, snails, crays, mollusks, small fish, ect in the Amazon; I dont see how they dont stay fat in the wild.

It seems the skinny rays we get are because of exporters not taking the best of care of these guys.

Then again, in the wild, parasites are common while in the home aquaria we do are best to keep them in check.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
rays move alot burning off lots of carbs

i dont think its possable to over feed a ray when they are full they dont swim around looking for food

the main thing in a rays life is food and sex nothing more

unless you push the food down a ray throat its not posable to over feed them

the ray in the link probably had some kind of blockage

Reactions: yargnits

USMCtanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
wa
ya i cant over feed mine when he is full he dont eat, but thats just mine

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
USMCtanker;1676479; said:
ya i cant over feed mine when he is full he dont eat, but thats just mine
think you will find all rays are the same when it comes to food

in the wild i think a ray would have access to lots of food so much so it would eat alday long until its full

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store