Overfeeding Stingrays?? Lead to problems down the road??

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Remember they get way less activity also. I also feed once a day and skip a day a week. Dogs get over fed all the time

Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I've been saying this for the past 20 years, and many of those who work in the field of aquatics agree - one of the most common causes of death in captive fish is related to excessive fat deposits in and around the organs.
Excess fat ends up stored in various tissues, specifically the liver. Over time this can lead to the degeneration of the liver, which is more commonly referred to as "Fatty Liver Disease". Years ago I read an article which included some info from a fish parasitologist at a Canadian University. He was involved with performing autopsies on dead fish at public aquaria and the single most common cause of death he's seen since he started to do the autopsies was "fatty liver disease". Ruth Francis Floyd from the U of Florida has stated the same.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
And guys like to feed their rays till they have a huge bump. Not me, I feed until its barely noticeable.

Reactions: CANAMONSTER

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, and as Mike stated, rays in captivity generally expend very little overall energy, compared to those same species of rays in the wild. This is generally true of most species of fish, so excess calories in, can only result in one outcome. This isn't rocket science. It may take years to take its toll, but overfeeding most definitely has a negative impact on fish.

Reactions: CANAMONSTER

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
If i take a net to the beach i end up with bucket loads of shrimp in less than an hour. If that were a ray it would gorgd itself possibly to death as some eels do.
I feed my rays lots especially if i see them getting skinny due to breeding attempts and try to alter food accordingly but tbey usually have bumps in which case i reduce feeding slightly just because the gas produced (bloated stomach) is probably uncomfortable.
I have a wild male 10+ yrs old and i expect he will have allsorts wrong if you do testes but hes not fat and imo could do with some weight on.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
If i take a net to the beach i end up with bucket loads of shrimp in less than an hour. If that were a ray it would gorgd itself possibly to death as some eels do.
I feed my rays lots especially if i see them getting skinny due to breeding attempts and try to alter food accordingly but tbey usually have bumps in which case i reduce feeding slightly just because the gas produced (bloated stomach) is probably uncomfortable.
I have a wild male 10+ yrs old and i expect he will have allsorts wrong if you do testes but hes not fat and imo could do with some weight on.
I think Marine is a different ball game. Rivers and lakes are much different.

I recall a member on her named duanes who snorkeled the cenotes and he seen a huge school of tetras or that of similar and some Jack Dempsey that we're trying to eat them right in front of him.. they might of got a few but he said they were having a hard time catching or gorging on them........

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
My rays try to eat tge asian arowana and have pinned the gar. The fire eel regularly turns uo with damaged finns and i famously posted one of my rays pinning an oscar upside down and kilked two pure white butterfly koi.
They would have no problem with guppies or tetras.
By all means tbough see for ypurself and try keep them together. They will look nice for a while at least.
Im still trying to get weight on my wild male (10+ yrs old ) so im feeding lots of high oil pellets which in turn lead to "sumday lunch syndrome"
Where he has a bit of gas and abump but at least i know hes eating well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store