Overhead filter advise needed

simtommy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2019
New hobbyist here and probably made my first mistake already upon ordering of my 650gallon tank.Totally overlooked filtration requirements and now it is delivered to me with with puny 50gallon overhead filter system. I am thinking of adding 2 more canister filters (fx6?) but am unable to do do due to space constraint. The tank is customise to fit into a 8ft space!
Any advise if I can make the existing system work?

Overall tank dimension: 7ft x 3.5ft x 3.5ft
Overhead filter dimension: 7ft x 1ft x 1ft (with 6 equally spaced out chambers)

Reactions: Backfromthedead

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
New hobbyist here and probably made my first mistake already upon ordering of my 650gallon tank.Totally overlooked filtration requirements and now it is delivered to me with with puny 50gallon overhead filter system. I am thinking of adding 2 more canister filters (fx6?) but am unable to do do due to space constraint. The tank is customise to fit into a 8ft space!
Any advise if I can make the existing system work?

Overall tank dimension: 7ft x 3.5ft x 3.5ft
Overhead filter dimension: 7ft x 1ft x 1ft (with 6 equally spaced out chambers)

Sorry to hear that. No space underneath the aquarium at all?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Sorry to hear that. No space underneath the aquarium at all?

The only way that filter could work on a aquarium that size would depend on the bioload of the fish and you would have to figure out how much water to remove during water changes. If you can't put anything at the bottom they do sell internal filters. Sponge filters are another option but are not attractive so they would need to be hidden. If you have room on the sides maybe Hang on the back filters such as Aquaclear 110's could be used.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Photos of the tank, overhead filter and alloted space would help us envisage the situation a bit better. My initial guess would be to get creative and build a stand. Design it so you have plenty of room underneath for a proper sized sump. I'm surprised really that a tank manufacturer supplying a 650g tank has only made a relatively small filtration system to go with it.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
What kind of space do you have over the tank that you dont have under the tank? Maybe up grade the overhead unit to a larger sump? Pics would help as stated earlier.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
That system does not seem wimpy to me, with mechanical filtration where water enters, and filled with the biomedia it could easily handle the tank.
Its not how big a filter is, it's about the flow and media that make a difference, its all about how often you clean the media.
I have used lava rock filled columns only 8" in diameter and 4 ft tall, a couple scrubbies for mechanical, holding only 20 gallons, and had them handle a chain of five or more 100 to 150 gal tanks. It's about the pump, and how may GPH it creates.
Its also about bioload, and the type and size fish.
Trout, tigerfish and other rheophiles will require a higher flow (maybe 4,000 GPH, much higher pump age than bichers or discus or other oxbow type fish that might only require 1200 GPH in that size tank.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Yes ample filtration volume as mentioned.

Also plenty of room for an undergravel filter if you did end up needing huge biological and mechanical filtration requirements.

Reactions: jcarson

simtommy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2019
No stand used on the tank and it is sitting on the floor. Both sides of the tanks are tight as well. Water change planned for 30% once with week or two.

Bioload will generally be high, stocking with predatory fishes like temensis, Arowana and rays.

Spoke to the tank supplier and was similarly advised to complement the overhead filter with an under gravel filter. Seems like the best option out there.

Glad to hear that the overhead filter ONLY may work?!?! Any suggestion of how I should place the medias? 6 equally spaced out chambers currently.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
No stand used on the tank and it is sitting on the floor. Both sides of the tanks are tight as well. Water change planned for 30% once with week or two.

Bioload will generally be high, stocking with predatory fishes like temensis, Arowana and rays.

Spoke to the tank supplier and was similarly advised to complement the overhead filter with an under gravel filter. Seems like the best option out there.

Glad to hear that the overhead filter ONLY may work?!?! Any suggestion of how I should place the medias? 6 equally spaced out chambers currently.

Your water changes will have to be atleast 50% or more weekly or every 3 days to support the bioload of the species you mentioned especially the Freshwater Stingray. Add mechanical media to your first chamber to collect waste. You could use 2 chambers for mechanical and the remaining chambers for Bio Media. Lava Rock, Ceramic Rings, etc. your preference.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store