Overstocked?

Yaponchik

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2019
SEA
Question.

So if one cap prime treats 50g of water and hypothetically I had a 50g tank that is at 86f.

I’m changing 80% water in the 50g and getting ready to re-fill the tank are you saying I should only use half a cap of prime to treat the tank bc my water temp is 86f? (Half a cap of prime only treats 25g) normally I would use 1 cap to treat the entire tank, regardless of temperature.

Or are you trying to say that in order to overdose a tank on prime it would only be 2x’s the amount of prime because the tank is 86f?

This is just all hypothetical as I’m just trying to understand what you are trying to say.
Half dose is more of a safety net due to lower dissolved oxygen levels. I've dosed prime 5x the recommended dose (5ml / 50 gal) when I was battling columnaris in hospital tanks without bio filtration where I couldn't do any water changes as I was treating with antibiotics and ammonia was at extreme levels. This at 32C tank water / 37C ambient, this summer. Fish survived and flourished, but that's more or less because it's a bichir and it could survive hypoxic conditions given that they are air breathers. I wouldn't try it with fish that are strictly gill breathers and require highly oxygenated water levels, but I rarely do half doses, only in extreme heat.

Reactions: Niki_up

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Half dose is more of a safety net due to lower dissolved oxygen levels. I've dosed prime 5x the recommended dose (5ml / 50 gal) when I was battling columnaris in hospital tanks without bio filtration where I couldn't do any water changes as I was treating with antibiotics and ammonia was at extreme levels. This at 32C tank water / 37C ambient, this summer. Fish survived and flourished, but that's more or less because it's a bichir and it could survive hypoxic conditions given that they are air breathers. I wouldn't try it with fish that are strictly gill breathers and require highly oxygenated water levels, but I rarely do half doses, only in extreme heat.
Good info to have, I’ve never had to dose more than 2x’s and I’ve never considered the temperature of the tank

Yaponchik

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2019
SEA
Good info to have, I’ve never had to dose more than 2x’s and I’ve never considered the temperature of the tank
I think you have to look at your dosage methodology, and your level of paranoia. When I do water changes now, I remove the portion of water I intend to remove, usually 70%, then dose Seachem Safe for the full tank volume on the display, and switch on my wave maker to let it mix; then fill straight from tap with a filter sock to catch whatever debris is there to catch (if any). Years back, I used to dose .5ml of prime during the middle phase of fill up with a 5g bucket, then pour it to the tank (paranoia).

I've never had any problems with this method, but like I said, I would never try it with a fish that requires high oxygenation levels in your water column; maybe someone with experience in that area can comment.

I keep juvenile blue Zaire mobas in a separate grow out, and I only use water that I've aged for a week to do a 95% water change (on a water stock tank above the gibberosa tank). I don't use prime at all since I'm running the powerhead for a full week prior to using said water for a water change.

Reactions: Niki_up

Sarahmander

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
San Diego
Okay, so two of the ropes are absolutley fine living their best rope life, already eating and whatnot... one is chilling at the bottom and hardly moves. He's hanging in there, but he seems to be breathing heaving. Nitrates are still orange, could that be it? My tank is very aerated, and like I said, no other fish seem lethargic.

Reactions: Yaponchik

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
This is relatable content. mine says 189% overstocked. And I believe it! My nitrates are out of control and I'm doing the 70% WC weekly. It says to add more filtration.
Changing water with buckets isn't sustainable. You should be changing about 50 gallons of water, and you will get sick of that. When you get sick of it, your water quality will suffer, and you fish will get sick and die.

I personally don't like the Python Clean and Fill system because it requires that the water be running to create suction. That wastes a lot of water, and I don't like wasting water unnecessarily. It works though if it's your best option.

That's why I use a pump. If your tube run isn't too long, you can do it without a pump by sucking on the tube to create suction. My tube run is almost 40', so I have to use a pump. I tried; I just don't suck hard enough. :ROFL:
What type of pump do you use?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Aqadvisor.com says my tank is overstocked, what do you guys think? I have a 100 gal with lots of plants and a 30 gal sump filled with seachem matrix. I do weekly 30% water changes, but I do have some trouble with keeping my nitrates low.View attachment 1386034
You may be a slightly over stocked, but if you’re willing to have adequate filtration and do the frequent water changes, you’re fine. None of your fish will outgrow your tank and none are overly territorial.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store