Overstocking a tank

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Thank you for the response, due to the cost of this tank and stocking I can't afford a good canister filter. I was doing some research and I'm going to have three 250g rated sponge filters(ten dollars each) and 2 marineland internal canister filters each rated for 97 gallons. So with 944g of unusual filtration will it be enough for a proper overstocking
That will not be enough unfortunately, and your turnover rate will be awful. Frankly thats not even enough for a standard 240. If you cannot afford proper filtration I would hold off on any fish until you can afford it.

Reactions: Matteus and dr exum

idkjardiniagressive?

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2019
I've think I can get a fluval FX6 and the 3 sponge filters and maybe once the fish are actually large another FX6 or FX4. Would that be enough?

idkjardiniagressive?

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2019
With out going into to much detail I cannot get a sump, but I just need to know if the previously mentioned filtration will be enough(2 FX6 and 3 sponge filters)

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Great point regarding wc. All my fish are still relatively small and it's a challenge to keep nitrate levels around 20ppm (weekly 50-60%).

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
with everything you have and an fx6 + the sponge filters youd be at the rough minimum for the current stock list you have. I still wouldnt add anything to it. My tank isnt even overstocked and its 325g with a flow rate of 3100 Gallons per hour

idkjardiniagressive?

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2019
Ok. I'm getting these fish very small, the biggest being the jardini(9inches) but in the next 6-8 months I will have another FX6 going on the tank.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
I dont understand why you prioritize fish over your set up. The fish dont deserve to be stuck in a poorly filtered tank with their own excrement. A 9 inch fish is not a small fish and will put out plenty of waste. Take a step back and stop riding the impulse train and get your set up perfected before you start buying fish you cant care for. Get the filter now, and the fish in 6 to 8 months. Honestly, if you cant afford a $250 filter in the next two to four weeks, you probably shouldnt have a large aquarium because it will definitely cost you more than you can afford. But ultimately I cant stop you, I just hope you take the time to get your priorities in order.

Reactions: Matteus

idkjardiniagressive?

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2019
Actually I do priotize the tank over the fish... I wouldn't be here if I didn't. The tank comes in a month so I am gathering all the information needed BEFORE it has arrived. And money is no issue whatsoever I'm a 15yo kid with a weekend job who's parents strongly believe in independence but I know they will lend me a couple hundred dollars for absolutely necessary filtration. I'm just here looking for professional advice. (I only own the jardini which is still at the store everything else is yet to be bought)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store