Oxydoras Niger

Steejaye

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2018
Hello
I have a Ripsaw catfish which was about 1.5” when I purchased him about 6 years ago. “ great fish “. He is now around 20” and living in my 180 gallon bow front aquarium. I’m looking to re-home him to someone who has larger aquariums. I have never sold or shipped live fish before. I’m looking for some advice as to my options to successfully and safely accomplish this task.
Steve

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Post in the marketplace with all the info and hope it gets some attention.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Hey buddy here’s a little advice when moving the niger. I have one similar size to yours a little bigger actually about 23” lol what’s crazy is he grew this size in about a year and a half lol. Anyways what I did was drain my tank super low, my niger usually doesn’t move much I grabbed a 5g bucket put it on the side and guided the niger in head first. I then lift the bucket and use that to protect myself from the nigers body and put him in a Rubbermaid container. They are extremely dangerous to move so becareful and cautious of those spike. It hurts, I would know it thrashed me when it was around 12” when I spooked it. Due to the body of the niger shipping something that large would be risky. Bags will simply just tear. Logistically would to have someone come with a portable air pump and a large enough container to move it.

Steejaye

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2018
Thanks for the strategy. Hopefully I can find someone local who’s interested and has a appropriate tank. Considering getting in contact with the Mystic Aquauium (near me in CT. ) to see if they will take him.

Steejaye

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2018
Post in the marketplace with all the info and hope it gets some attention.
Thanks for the posting advice. Unfortunately, I’m new to this site and not sure how to relocate my post or how to add a picture of my catfish

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Having run a fish rescue for a decade myself, I'd say forget about the shipping. It can be shipped assuredly safely but for the cost of buying a 100 of these fish. Not worth it.

I'd find someone in your area with a large tank and expertise. If all fails, you could take it to Aquarium and Puppy Center in Waterbury, CT. They take in larger trade-ins. The problem is your pet may end up in someone's 100 gal...

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
If all fails, you could take it to Aquarium and Puppy Center in Waterbury, CT. They take in larger trade-ins. The problem is your pet may end up in someone's 100 gal...
lol Waterbury Aquarium is the name, and yes they will likely take it but biggest tank outside of their shiner tubs is a 180g. It will likely take long to sell but they'd surely take it and try.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Steejaye

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2018
Thanks. I would hate to think of him ending up in a tank more confined than the 180 he’s in know. My tanks are usually decorated ( large wood and plants). I recently removed the wood to give him more room until I find him a new home. I’m considering seeing if the Mystic Aquarium ( in Mystic Ct ) will take him in. They have awesome aquariums and it’s about 10 miles from me.

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks. I would hate to think of him ending up in a tank more confined than the 180 he’s in know. My tanks are usually decorated ( large wood and plants). I recently removed the wood to give him more room until I find him a new home. I’m considering seeing if the Mystic Aquarium ( in Mystic Ct ) will take him in. They have awesome aquariums and it’s about 10 miles from me.
It's possible but very highly unlikely. All public aquaria have been overrun with common tank busters and O. niger is one of them.

lol Waterbury Aquarium is the name, and yes they will likely take it but biggest tank outside of their shiner tubs is a 180g. It will likely take long to sell but they'd surely take it and try.
No, I meant this shop in West Hatrtford rather where I was twice in 2009-2010... but it seems to be closed now. https://www.yelp.com/biz/west-hartford-puppy-center-and-aquarium-west-hartford

Reactions: moe214

Steejaye

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2018
I used go to the puppy center in West Hartford. It was an awesome place to get coral frags at great prices. I thought they closed. Did they relocate or is it the same place?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store