Oxygen level?

SHilo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Canada
Is there a test or a way to tell how much oxygen is in the water of my tank? What do you all use in the way of air output if anything or do you think the water flow from the filter is enough?

Why do fish suck at the top of the water? Could this be indicative of a lack of oxygen in my water?

arowanaking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Louisiana
get an arestone or a bubble wand quick! the fish are sucking at the top are sufficating and need more oxygen..you can go to any walmart or lfs and buy an airpump and bubble wand: make sure you get the tube too!

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Levels of disolved oxygen can be measured using a meter. www.aquaticeco.com sells various levels of them.

Plainly speaking, if you are using just an airstone, you can't over do it because the most you'll get into solution is what is in the air surrounding the tank.

I'd toss in an airstone if your fish are at the top gasping.

V1xIII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2008
MO
You need to have something agitating the surface of the water to accelerate gas exchange at all times unless you have a heavily planted tank, but even then you would want to run it at night I believe.

Austin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2005
what's your filtration and tank size?

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Zoodiver;2090649; said:
Levels of disolved oxygen can be measured using a meter. www.aquaticeco.com sells various levels of them.

Plainly speaking, if you are using just an airstone, you can't over do it because the most you'll get into solution is what is in the air surrounding the tank.

I'd toss in an airstone if your fish are at the top gasping.
I agree with Matt. On tanks that have HOB filters, you probably don't need added aeration, but on tanks with cans, you will need added air.

SHilo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Canada
Its a 230 gallon and i'm running an FX5. I have a couple of airpumps and all the accessories necessary for running air and I usually do. The only reason I stopped is a friend of mine who has 4 or 5 tanks doesn't run any air and her fish are all very healthy and are never at the top like that so she didn't think it was too necessary, (and it is kind of a pain) but I guess the difference is type of filter.

I will get it back running tomorrow. So one airstone on each side of the tank should be sufficient I think..............?

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
I don't have airstones in any of my tanks over 20 gallons. That covers all the 125's and teh 250 gal tank.
Another reason fish gasp at the surface is ammonia or nitrite poisoning. I'm not saying that's the case here as you didn't post your readings and I'm not sure the background on the tank. If your FX5 outlet is at the top of the water level where it splashes the surface it shouldn't be a problem. Unless you've possibly got one of those really tall tanks, I could see where there wouldn't be enough water movement at the bottom.

SHilo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Canada
The top of the tank is about 5 and a half feet off the ground and the tank itself is three feet deep. I don't have the filter outlet out of the water at all as it does say in the setup instructions that it should be a certain depth under the water. (3 inches if I remember correctly)

I just tested my nitrite and ammonia about three days ago and they both came out perfect so I don't think that's it. I will say though, three out of the last five fish that I have added to the tank died and they were all in perfect health when I put them in there.

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
The tank itself is 36" tall? Wow. That's your problem right there. There's not enough water movement at the bottom at ALL to support the fish. In your case I'd most certainly add as many air stones &/or bubble walls as possible to get the water at the bottom moved up. If you could put a couple powerheads at the bottom and point them up that would do the trick, too. I believe you've figured out your problem. My guess is your friend's tank isn't near that tall or else she's got powerheads in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store