Paddlefish

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
There are no actual experienced paddlefish keepers here and in other forums as they has little or poor sucesses keeping paddlefish alive for longer periods in private collections or do not have proper husbandry to house a young paddlefish for longer periods.

As for "dwarf" paddlefish, it was just stunted paddlefish as you can easily grow few 5-6 feet long ones in a .5 acre pond as the aquaculture has sucessfully. Pacu, big catfish and oscars have proven that they can grow big in smaller tanks.

snot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2009
colorado
15 years ago people told me i couldnt keep mudskippers they said it was to hard to properly care for them. i researched them talked to zookeepers with real world experiance (not the ive never kept them dont know anything about them but ill still talk smack) replicated their habitat to the best of my ability paid thru the nose to get them shipped here and managed to keep all but 2 out of ten alive for 8 years almost twice their natural life span. since then ive imported 5 differnt species and have kept them alive beyond their natural life span as well.people on this site talk thrash about members that keep or want to keep sturgeon as well. while in the UK they are sold in koi shops all over the place and kept very successfully i might add. as for the dwarf paddlefish its most likely they got taken by a lying lfs and will soon have a very large fish.yes thats sad. paddle fish are at present being farmed in ranch ponds in a number of states. they can and are able to live in koi ponds and in very large aquariums well under 10,000 gallons the bass pro shop in denver has them in tanks and has since the were small, as does the downtown aquarium restaurant these fish are very healthy and have been in captivity for in tanks with corners for over a decade. there are also paddlefish being raised in waste water treatment plants in oklahoma.while paddle fish are widely know by the casual observer as filter feeders they are also a predator that can and will take smaller fish. all the paddlefish that im aware of in captivity both the farmed ones, the ones here in colorado, the ones in oklahoma, and the ones with the link posted here have all readily taken pellets.
now should a average idiot fish keeper have them no! and heres why
1) they do have special requirements
2) they do get 5-6' and have record sizes of up to 198 lbs
3) every other reason that people say you cant keep rtc, tsn,gator gar, ...... the list goes on and on but it still gets done and successfully.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Care to show us an evidence that paddlefish can live in cornered tank for decade and actually thriving? Especially at the restaurant? Are you sure that they were same paddlefish? I have hard time to picture a pelagic fish with sensitive snout can live in a cornered tank for decades without get stunted or damaged snout. Most fish at restaurants were often in pathetic conditions as I have observed and they always replaced their stock as I always saw a new fish or new stock.

Also you mentioned other species RTC, TSN and Gator Gar, they were not pelagic fish.

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.
15 years ago people told me i couldnt keep mudskippers they said it was to hard to properly care for them. i researched them talked to zookeepers with real world experiance (not the ive never kept them dont know anything about them but ill still talk smack) replicated their habitat to the best of my ability paid thru the nose to get them shipped here and managed to keep all but 2 out of ten alive for 8 years almost twice their natural life span. since then ive imported 5 differnt species and have kept them alive beyond their natural life span as well.people on this site talk thrash about members that keep or want to keep sturgeon as well. while in the UK they are sold in koi shops all over the place and kept very successfully i might add. as for the dwarf paddlefish its most likely they got taken by a lying lfs and will soon have a very large fish.yes thats sad. paddle fish are at present being farmed in ranch ponds in a number of states. they can and are able to live in koi ponds and in very large aquariums well under 10,000 gallons the bass pro shop in denver has them in tanks and has since the were small, as does the downtown aquarium restaurant these fish are very healthy and have been in captivity for in tanks with corners for over a decade. there are also paddlefish being raised in waste water treatment plants in oklahoma.while paddle fish are widely know by the casual observer as filter feeders they are also a predator that can and will take smaller fish. all the paddlefish that im aware of in captivity both the farmed ones, the ones here in colorado, the ones in oklahoma, and the ones with the link posted here have all readily taken pellets.
now should a average idiot fish keeper have them no! and heres why
1) they do have special requirements
2) they do get 5-6' and have record sizes of up to 198 lbs
3) every other reason that people say you cant keep rtc, tsn,gator gar, ...... the list goes on and on but it still gets done and successfully.

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

sterlets yeap ive tanked one but pfft sterlet anit no sturgeon as your thinking... there are lots of sp. of sturgeon...

PF: PRIMARILY PLANKTON FEEDERS! some will filter feed krill and worms in tank as young but find me one account of one clearing 4' like this and living on...

the search bar here can find you lots of accounts of people getting them not listening and ending up with damaged dying fish.

snot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2009
colorado
Care to show us an evidence that paddlefish can live in cornered tank for decade and actually thriving? Especially at the restaurant? Are you sure that they were same paddlefish? I have hard time to picture a pelagic fish with sensitive snout can live in a cornered tank for decades without get stunted or damaged snout. Most fish at restaurants were often in pathetic conditions as I have observed and they always replaced their stock as I always saw a new fish or new stock.

Also you mentioned other species RTC, TSN and Gator Gar, they were not pelagic fish.
google denver downtown aquarium its not the average restaurant was a public aquarium now privately owned restaurant. has huge sharktanks and tiger exibits, doesnt change the fact that they are privately owned and have paddlefish. i guess im only as sure as taking the keepers words for it same as the zoo that told me how to care for my mudskippers.same as me taking your advice under advisment as far as trout might not be a good staple for my tropical cats. still researching on that too.
im fully aware you dont think it can be done. my research and talking to people that do it says it can and my contacts that BREED them say it can.
neither the op or i intend on keeping them in a square tank for a decade we both have large koi ponds . but it can and is being done successfully.

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
all your story's and the op's have massive holes in.. you dont really know what you are talking about... you seem to think coming by a young specimen is hard? no! its just a case of waiting until the right season and speaking to the right people. lots of us no where to get one as to weather people will freely give that info out personally no. From the mess ive seen this fish in in hobbyists hands i dont believe it is appropriate to keep them...

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Again, public aquariums are quite different from average home aquariums but of course paddlefish can sucessfully kept in koi ponds. Glass square tanks on other hand are not suitable for long-term keeping, especially when the paddlefish gets older and bigger. I have YET seen experienced aquahobbist has sucessfully kept a paddlefish long-term and grows up a 3 foot long paddlefish at home aquarium.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
all your story's and the op's have massive holes in.. you dont really know what you are talking about... you seem to think coming by a young specimen is hard? no! its just a case of waiting until the right season and speaking to the right people. lots of us no where to get one as to weather people will freely give that info out personally no. From the mess ive seen this fish in in hobbyists hands i dont believe it is appropriate to keep them...
Agreed with this. It isn't hard to obtaining paddlefish these days and lot of people (especially here) have kept them but for some reason we don't see any updates on their paddlefish keeping here. My guess that something bad happened to their paddlefish.

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
Again, public aquariums are quite different from average home aquariums but of course paddlefish can sucessfully kept in koi ponds. Glass square tanks on other hand are not suitable for long-term keeping, especially when the paddlefish gets older and bigger. I have YET seen experienced aquahobbist has sucessfully kept a paddlefish long-term and grows up a 3 foot long paddlefish at home aquarium.
to be fair we did have one on here go 3.5' in tank couple years back before its bill broke when its donut owner cleaned tank, or did water change, or simply walked into the room... :nilly:

a very large BLACK coloured and COVERED (but if its a jumper, guess what thats also another bill broken) 12' ROUND koi vat is the only serious option if you are raising young imo... you would need a health water current speed n cycle rate, huge filtration and then to seriously think about how you would feed it long term? plankton? krill? if you go krill how are you going to supply enough of this to a big enough area of the pond later in life to sustain the fish? if you go plankton how will you ensure plankton levels are sufficient for food at a young aged???

:popcorn:

we need a smiley for a minefield cos thats what this topic is...

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Sure you can keep them in an aquarium...
aa.jpgbb.jpg

aa.jpg

bb.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store