Paddlefish

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
:irked: helpful Dan... very helpful.... lol
I try. :ROFL:

This is at a public aquarium in Milwaukee. At 120,000+ gallons it was truly awesome. My cousin had her wedding reception there, it was really, really cool.

Theseabean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
When I was at University of Missouri this summer for research work, a biologist who dedicated his life to paddlefish took me down to the basement and showed me his indoor pool filled with juvenile paddlefish. I fed them and they even let me pet them. The reason behind his research was that their neurons are actually extremely similar to ours in that they are very highly developed evolutionarily for fish, and apparently we can learn a lot from them. He was telling me that they get difficult to keep alive after about two years and almost 3 feet in length.

jbijl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2012
holland
Here in Holland you can get them a baby cost 30 euro and a big one 250 euro.
I have them 4 years and the are more than 3 feet in length.

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.
where the hell do they come into holland from? i thought all american native stuff was poss invasive in eU and banned for import from source? :popcorn:

jbijl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2012
holland
They are Captive bred by a Hobbist in the EU
You can not import them from the VS
If you want some i can get them for you but your setup will be atleast 10.000 gallons whit a big filter system
My filter is about 600 gallons
Gr Jeroen

jbijl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2012
holland
I am now alreddy 2 years making a new system that wil be 30.000 gallons whit a filter system of 2200 gallons.
Gr Jeroen

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.
i'v heard whispers and seen a few, well 5 young come in to the uk via germany couple years back... that must be where diskusman where sourcing the ones on there lists at teh same time... interesting.... i have a pretty good idea of how one would go about keeping them successfully just also understand the setup costs of the required system as well as maintenance costs...

Gr Jeroen you have a friend request incoming, where in holland are you? im over there a lot! :D

jbijl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2012
holland
I live in Callantsoog that is close by Den Helder
And i no that the person that breeds them live in Austria
Remember when you want to thake them to your home you have to put a big setup in your car
Gr Jeroen

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store