Paddlefish

Ozarker

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2011
NW Arkansas
Great thread, snot. Thanks for the link.

I do think 8 paddlefish in a 30 is a bit crowded, especially for such an active fish. I can see that it would make it easier to locate food particularly while being trained to take pellets.

It's encouraging that they so readily take pellets. I notice the last posting was in July. i wonder how they are doing now? Any idea who "bigfishfarm" is? Where do you plan on getting your paddlefish?

Ozarker

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2011
NW Arkansas

snot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2009
colorado
Yep I emailed both osage and big fish farms. They both said they would sell to me.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ozarker

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2011
NW Arkansas
Did they quote you price and sizes? I've also emailed both but haven't gotten a response yet.

Ozarker

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2011
NW Arkansas
I stand corrected on my statement about release. Arkansas Game and Fish Commission regs state: "It is unlawful to release native or non-native aquatic wildlife, including their eggs, into the waters of the state without the written permission of the Commission" Thanks Cakilla and noto for pointing that out.

Even though it's a native species, it's still illegal unless done with proper authorization. The main concern is disease transmission. It may be a long shot, but if you so much as used the same net in a tank of tropicals bred in Asia somewhere with the paddlefish tank, the fish could become a carrier of an exotic disease that could be detrimental to the local population. If a proper closed system is not available, it would sadly be better to euthanize a fish than to risk contaminating an entire ecosystem.

snot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2009
colorado
No I haven't got a price or size from either they both said get back with them in the spring as that is when they have fingerling. Id like to get them small like 2-3” . And I have to get written permission to import them from the colorado division of wildlife or Osage won't ship them. One of my lfs had two 4” about 2 years ago so I know there is a way to get them. I went home to research them came back an hour later and they were both gone.

snot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2009
colorado
Btw big fish told me in they last email that they were super busy in winter because that's when they are harvesting adults from ranch ponds so it may take them a while to get back to you.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Not mentioned that they are always be on move as they rarely stay in same spot as they do not hovering like most fishes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store