Panda uaru parasites

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Don't let that get you down. Sometimes no matter what, the result is always the same. We can only try. If you still have the one that is alive, and if you're up to the challenge, try large daily water changes. Keep the tank pristine and feed whatever the fish eats now, bloodworms, even if it just nibbles. Its important to keep it eating because if its parasites, starvation makes it worse. If you can get your hands on Flubendazole, I'd most definately try that. The fact that the fish lasted so long is a sign it is not bacterial but parasitic/worm issue with which in the wild fish do just fine but not in captivity. A few months back I bought a sick clown loach. It took me 3 months, daily water changes and 4 meds to "fix" him and thankfully it finally worked. Now I have a little pig that is back to growing and eating greedily.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Here is a video tour about the small sick clown loach I got. It took a lot of work and patience to get him to full health. As long as he was living, I was trying...

This was taken was taken 2 months after I bought him...still pale as a sheet(compare to his buddy) ..losing wait and not growing at all for that period of time..

And this one taken 2 months after the above video. You can see him at around 0:23. He's totally back to normal, a piggy now, growing and getting fat...

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
I honestly think they may have been weak/compromised from the beginning. Both species of Uaru, wild and domestic, have voracious appetites. My wilds were attacking anything I threw in the tank the second day I had them, even while they were still beat up and missing fins from shipping. They eat pellets, dried blackworms, three types of flakes (spirulina, earthworm, and beefheart), and even try eating the silk plants and sponge filters in the tank. I'm thinking maybe they had a low level internal parasite infection when you got them, and even though the acidic water probably helped, there was always an underlying issue. It would explain the suppressed appetite and finickiness of them.
Yes it would. And whatever they were infected with, wasn't susceptible to normal medicines because this wasn't the first time that this entire tank got hit with prazi.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Prazi is very limited to what it treats. It treats flukes, some other internal tapeworms, trichodina parasite(which is only pathogenic in problematic tanks) and that's all I've come across over the years. Its not a good round treatment for worms/parasites but its a good start for wild caught fish because they do come with tapeworms/flukes and its safe to treat a tank with prazi for any critters. So it doesn't mean what they had was not susceptible to prazi, its just that prazi itself is limited to what it treats.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Most of "this" species of Uaru are wild caught, so parasitic worms and such, are a fact of life with just about any wild caught fish.
Even though your pH and TDS were low, I'm wondering if you provided tannins?
Their natural habitat is very brown to black water, which could have been the limiting factor.
I believe to prevent infection from bacteria like normally benign Aeromonus hydrophilia, or other more complicated parasites that are simple irritants to other more common fish, tannins may be there key until tank bred individuals become common.
The water below, is what I have used for killi's that require tannin infused water, and is added with every water change.

And I know this sounds a little wacky, but I would have "hang on the back filters" stuffed with tea bags and peat, if I were to try that species,

Last edited:

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Most of "this" species of Uaru are wild caught, so parasitic worms and such, are a fact of life with just about any wild caught fish.
Even though your pH and TDS were low, I'm wondering if you provided tannins?
Their natural habitat is very brown to black water, which could have been the limiting factor.
I believe to prevent infection from bacteria like normally benign Aeromonus hydrophilia, or other more complicated parasites that are simple irritants to other more common fish, tannins may be there key until tank bred individuals become common.
The water below, is what I have used for killi's that require tannin infused water, and is added with every water change.

And I know this sounds a little wacky, but I would have "hang on the back filters" stuffed with tea bags and peat, if I were to try that species,
I had tannins in the tank for the vast majority of the time I had them. Bags of peat in the filters for most of the time, then rooibos tea over the last couple months. I did struggle to maintain dark water. I suspect that the UV sterilizer broke down the tannins in the water somehow because. I did run a 15w UV on their tank the entire time.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Also, lost the last panda today. He just sort of went belly up this morning. What a terrible way to spend $500 on fish.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
So sorry to hear. Take a break and try again when you're ready. I feel your frustration....been there.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
I guess the next question is what should I do with that tank? It's only inhabitants now are a green phantom pleco and starlight bushy nose pleco. Both are acting completely normal and growing very very well. I'm wondering if it is safe to add different fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store