Pao Baileyi (Hairy Puffer)

TheLordJT

Feeder Fish
Jun 17, 2022
Hi all,
Brand new to this forum, hope to meet some people who have extensive knowledge of keeping the Pao Baileyi.
I have recently bought a baby Pao, and it is absolutely incredible, I say ‘it’ because I haven’t a clue about the gender..
But it’s personality is amazing. I have took a little look on the forum and from what I have seen, people who own them, say they love them, but they never move..
I know mine is an infant, but it has already got into a routine of how it behaves..
I have been feeding it every 3 days, once it’s been fed, it will sit in the roots of the plant in the corner of the tank, and change its colour to blend in, waiting to ambush..
It’s currently in my games room, and coincidentally I usually play online about as often as I feet it, so when I sit down to play, it’s ready to be fed again, and when it sees me, it’s out and going crazy at the glass like a little puppy begging me for food..
If I don’t give in to its demands within the first 10 mins or so, it will start half puffing at me, as if it’s trying threaten me into feeding it ?
It will often just be cruising the tank, half puffing and filling its belly, almost as if it’s just showboating and showing off.
As much as I love to watch this behaviour, I just wanted to ask whether it’s normal? I’d hate to think it was stressed, water is perfectly fine, can they just have have a crazy personality??
Thanks in advance for anyone who might take the time to reply. ??

Reactions: OhioCLE and Deadeye

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Congratulations on the new baby Pao!

DMD123 DMD123 , has kept them and should be able to offer great advice.

Reactions: DMD123

TheLordJT

Feeder Fish
Jun 17, 2022
Congratulations on the new baby Pao!

DMD123 DMD123 , has kept them and should be able to offer great advice.
Thank you! I absolutely love it, incredible fish to keep, never seen something so aggressive!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum (officially)!
Congrats on the puffer!
Haven’t had these guys, but I can say that all puffers are known for goofy personalities, so the behavior sounds normal to me.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
T TheLordJT , great choice in fish! The hairy puffer has been one of my all time favorite fish. Very personable and being food driven is quite the little beggar. My last one passed at about 8 years old and was female. I only figured that out cause she got fat with eggs and then one day she looked skinny and i noticed eggs gettig sucked up in the gravel vac. She would regularly puff up. No harm or stress just seemed like she did this as an exercise to keep flexible.

After keeping this one, when she passed due to age, I knew I wanted another. My current one is still growing. No idea on sex but this one is active like my last and a begger. No puffing up caught yet.

Reactions: deeda and Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store