Parrot Cichlid Info sheet: Blood Parrots, King Kong Parrots, and Kirin Parrots.

Frost969

Feeder Fish
Nov 2, 2015
Kirin Parrots

Description

Common Names: Flowerhorn Parrots, Flowerhorn Blood Parrots, Kirin Parrot, Kirin Fish, Kilin Parrots, Killin Parrots.

Kirin Parrots, commonly called Flowerhorn Parrots, are a hybrid fish created from Flowerhorn and Blood Parrots. They are the result of a few generation of line breeding and are rarely seen from the first generation of fry from crossing Flowerhorn and Blood Parrots. Kirin Parrots have the body of a Blood Parrot with the colors and marking of a Flowerhorn. They are often mistaken as short body Flowerhorn but are not the same. There are fairly new to the hobby and aren't yet sold as mainstream as Blood Parrots are.

View attachment 812137

Tank Size

30 Gallons Minimum

Size and Growth

5-7" (12 - 17cm)

Water Condition

Temperature: 80 - 86F (26 - 30C)
pH: 6.0 - 8.5

Kirin Parrots should be kept a little warmer than you would keep other cichlids at. They thrive at temps around or over 80F(26C) and show colors better than lower temps.

Feeding

Feeding is the same as you would with your typical Cichlid. Although most having the typical Parrot shaped mouth, some might have trouble eating larger pellets so its recommended you soak them in water to soften them. Recommended pellet brands are Hikari Cichlid or New Life Spectrum Cichlid/Cichlasoma Formula 1 - 3mm depending on the size of the fish.

Social Behavior

Kirin Parrots typically have the same aggression levels as Blood Parrots as opposed to Flowerhorn which can be very aggressive. In smaller groups its possible to see aggression in smaller tanks. Given more room they seem to do better when in groups than in smaller tanks.

Sexual Differences

While its not 100% accurate, typically females will have a black spot on the dorsal fin. Most accurate way is to vent them.

View attachment 812138

Breeding

Kirin Parrots will start breeding around 2-3" size. Most females are fertile and can breed with any Central American Cichlid and get viable spawns. It is unknown the fertility of male Kirin Parrots. They are considerably more fertile than male Blood Parrots but any exact numbers are unknown.

Identifying Kirin from Flowerhorn

Some wholesale have been selling Bonsai Flowerhorn as Kirin Parrots. The easiest way to tell if you have Kirin or Flowerhorn is the head and face area. Kirin Parrots should have the notched head like Blood Parrots and typically have the Parrot mouth.

Flowerhorn

View attachment 812341
View attachment 812342

Kirin Parrot

View attachment 812343
View attachment 812344
View attachment 812345

View attachment 812137

View attachment 812138

View attachment 812341

View attachment 812342

View attachment 812343

View attachment 812344

View attachment 812345
Does anyone know where I might be able to find a Kirin blood parrot? I

Alayasha

Feeder Fish
Jan 9, 2016
United States
Hello!
I love this post sense parrots in generally started my passion for cichlids a few years ago, i got what i thought were all blood parrots. But my large male i just noticed had a "horn" or bump on his head! Is he still a blood parrot or more of a king kong? he is more aggressive then the other two and almost double the size! Sadly i do not have a picture at this time of him.

Dainbramage

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2015
I recently picked up this blood parrot at a LFS. A real score for my bonsai project. I'm calling it a Bonsai parrot!0115161524~2.jpg

Reactions: ad88

HardBodyBullies1

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
Conyers,GA
Great post! Know I know that I actually purchased some nice quality Blood Parrots, not KKP. It sucks because I wanted KKP, Sun Pet had them listed as KKP. However they were o ly $20 bucks and they were about 2 inches smaller when I got them.
Here's a video, and let me know what you guys think.

Reactions: Maxefforts

HardBodyBullies1

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
Conyers,GA
Great post! Know I know that I actually purchased some nice quality Blood Parrots, not KKP. It sucks because I wanted KKP, Sun Pet had them listed as KKP. However they were o ly $20 bucks and they were about 2 inches smaller when I got them.

Reactions: ad88

HardBodyBullies1

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
Conyers,GA
I have 2 that are crosses also. Not sure with what though. Im thinking maybe a Fader (orange one) and the other Im thing a Texas Cichlid. Paid $65 bucks each for those. Just thought they were cool looking.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store