Parrots?

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
Hey! I picked up these cute little parrots from my lfs for my grow out tank and wanted to raise them and put them in my main. They were just labeled as “parrot” and i wanted to ask if there’s any way of indicating what color they’ll be when older? I don’t know much about parrots haha. Sorry for the bad pictures they’re so fast haha
8EBCECF3-60EB-4620-9FE0-14D9412067F8.jpeg1044627D-1AE4-4DE1-AE07-26F652216CCF.jpeg

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

GentleGiantsCichlidKeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Hey! I picked up these cute little parrots from my lfs for my grow out tank and wanted to raise them and put them in my main. They were just labeled as “parrot” and i wanted to ask if there’s any way of indicating what color they’ll be when older? I don’t know much about parrots haha. Sorry for the bad pictures they’re so fast haha
View attachment 1439252View attachment 1439253
At this point in time it's very hard to tell as your Parrots is very young. It could very well be a Parrot Cichlid as they tend to be black, or dark gray with stripes when they're younger. As the fish get older they'll reveal their true colors. Commonly, Parrot Cichlids are Blood Red Parrots and are a bright or light orange color. But they're breed to be other bright colors as well like red, yellow, green, etc. so it's all about your personal fish's genetics. There is also the case where you might have some rare Black Parrot Cichlid. Please keep us updated!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because they are so young, its a bit hard to tell if they are the true parrot cichlid, Hoplarchus psittacus, or the man made mutant, the Blood Red Parrot, that is not a true species, either a mutant, of hybrid.
The true species is a beautiful natural almost iridescent green, but....
as others have stated, the man made BRP can come in a variety of colors.

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
Because they are so young, its a bit hard to tell if they are the true parrot cichlid, Hoplarchus psittacus, or the man made mutant, the Blood Red Parrot, that is not a true species, either a mutant, of hybrid.
Oh that’s fascinating. Just searched up the true parrots and they’re beautiful. In the lfs they were just named as “junior parrot cichlid” for $6 each so i picked 2 up. Very interested to see what they turn out to be. Hopefully won’t take long haha

robfishies

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2020
Update!! I put one of the bigger parrots in my bigger tank because he was bullying the small one. He seems to have flowerhorn markings. Is this parrot a Parrothorn?44DE9B5B-FE3D-4D57-925C-8CC84E935C19.jpeg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Starting to fade, it will be bright orange eventually.
May be a Kirin, but they are usually more red and green.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store