PART DEUX!!! - Epic Overhaul (3D Backgrounds/300g, 250g, 120g tanks)

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
I understand the concept for the down turned and up turned elbows. If I do that (two 2") and go full syphon instead of the durso style, will drilling two holes on the down turned elbow on the inside of the tank break the syphon if the pump shuts off?

I absolutly love your 225 gallon and is the reason I am trying this design BTW. Seriously I think it's awesome bro.
It was Jcardona's idea, thank him. ;)

Yes, I think that will work, are you worried if you don't do that and the tank drains all the way to the bottom of the downturned elbow that your sump will overflow?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fish_n_vw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Tacoma Wa.
Subscribed, and following... "we're streaking, we're streaking.... there's more coming"... lmao.. fun drinking with you last night!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
It was Jcardona's idea, thank him. ;)

Yes, I think that will work, are you worried if you don't do that and the tank drains all the way to the bottom of the downturned elbow that your sump will overflow?

Yes, that is exactly my concern. I'll dig up the pics from my old thread of how I did the elbow and post soon.

Subscribed, and following... "we're streaking, we're streaking.... there's more coming"... lmao.. fun drinking with you last night!

Glad your following the thread Anthony! "are you speaking english" :ROFL:

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
blah blah bulkheads blah blah gate valve. I wish I understood how sumps worked. Maybe one day when I have a tank big enough to utilize them I will put in the effort. All sounds very complicated to me.

fish_n_vw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Tacoma Wa.
blah blah bulkheads blah blah gate valve. I wish I understood how sumps worked. Maybe one day when I have a tank big enough to utilize them I will put in the effort. All sounds very complicated to me.
It is complicated but not at the same time. The complexity is just not knowing what all the stuff is called. When you read a bit and understand all the terms, it starts to make since. Aclockworkorange, and jk47, were both very helpfull when I set up my first sump, they know their stuff. Sorry, I hope this counts as contributing and not hijacking... was that english?

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Just think of them as open top canisters with drilled holes in the tank to suck in water instead of intake tubes. All the other stuff is just playing with the water/air ratio so you don't have water splashing loudly.

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
It is complicated but not at the same time. The complexity is just not knowing what all the stuff is called. When you read a bit and understand all the terms, it starts to make since. Aclockworkorange, and jk47, were both very helpfull when I set up my first sump, they know their stuff. Sorry, I hope this counts as contributing and not hijacking... was that english?

Just think of them as open top canisters with drilled holes in the tank to suck in water instead of intake tubes. All the other stuff is just playing with the water/air ratio so you don't have water splashing loudly.

Thanks for the simplification guys. Do you like them considerably more than say canisters? Are they cheaper to setup?

Sorry for the thread hijack Justin.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
That's the exact gate valve I got on mine. Did you get slipxslip bulkheads?

I actually ordereded the 1.5" one today, change of plans. Details following this post.

Good stuff, no worries and thanks for the kudos.

^ agreed. Putting things in simplistic terms at first get your head around the concept.

Thanks for the simplification guys. Do you like them considerably more than say canisters? Are they cheaper to setup?

Sorry for the thread hijack Justin.
Bro don't apologize for hijacking at all! I prefer good discussions that people can take something away with in my threads so hijack away, all of you. Your not the only one reading this, others can benifit too you know ;) they may just have not posted yet.

I prefer canisters myself. Where sumps start to become more practical is in larger tank sizes. IMO anything past the 125 gallon range is a candidate. I have done sumps on smaller tanks too but that was more for fun that out of necessity. The reason being is a canister is simple and rigid. Only so many gallons per hour and size of tank. So larger tanks just need more canisters. Sumps can have different components put together that will get the desired mechanical, biological filtration in one unit often times using less electricity and less maintenance.

Once you understand the box of water concept, all of the different terms you hear that are confusing are just options. A sump goes together in pieces and the different options are adjusted to your liking. That is why people are always talking the different options with terms you may not understand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store