Payara ID

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Looks like a tattered up “tat” to me. Better get it some food ASAP. Looks like it won’t last too long in that shape.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Looks like a tattered up “tat” to me. Better get it some food ASAP. Looks like it won’t last too long in that shape.

I agree with Matteus, it's a Tatauaia . I also agree it looks to be in pretty rough shape and emaciated. Did you just get him? Has he fed?

Also I am moving the thread to the appropriate section. You're more likely to get more and informed responses when threads are posted in sections that are frequented by members who are passionate about the kind of fish you are inquiring about.

m_sol

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2020

Thanks for the quick response, so I just picked him up Saturday I believe. He did eat some feeders I threw in her him the first day. He hasn’t stopped eating but I did see he looked pretty skinny. Should I throw in extra feeders? I raise my own convict feeders by the way. I was trying to get him on tilapia (crossing my fingers) I got him for $90. Hope I didn’t get f***** over lol

m_sol

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2020
I agree with Matteus, it's a Tatauaia . I also agree it looks to be in pretty rough shape and emaciated. Did you just get him? Has he fed?

Also I am moving the thread to the appropriate section. You're more likely to get more and informed responses when threads are posted in sections that are frequented by members who are passionate about the kind of fish you are inquiring about.
Thanks I appreciate that! Is there anything I should get him? He’s very active and does feed. He recently ate my Molly’s and convict feeders

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Thanks I appreciate that! Is there anything I should get him? He’s very active and does feed. He recently ate my Molly’s and convict feeders
Feeder fish are good for now as he/she's too skinny in my opinion to try and wean them off live. It's a good thing you breed your own but once you get some weight on the Tat if I was you I would try frozen stuffed with pellets. I used to feed my Amatus shrimp stuffed with vitamin soaked pellets. Tilapia should be fine as well though. You can try garlic guard to help entice them or maybe soaking the pellets in bloodworms etc. I personally prefer stuffing frozen with pellets because I believe it's more nutritional that way. You don't have to do the vitamins but pellet stuffing I think is the way to go personally. Others I believe try to make their own food with things like tilapia, shrimp, mussels etc. Some use gelatin to make cubes with several things like that to diversify the diets of primarily piscivorous fish to help them get a varied balanced diet

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Nice red tail payara.

Reactions: Matteus and m_sol

m_sol

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2020
Feeder fish are good for now as he/she's too skinny in my opinion to try and wean them off live. It's a good thing you breed your own but once you get some weight on the Tat if I was you I would try frozen stuffed with pellets. I used to feed my Amatus shrimp stuffed with vitamin soaked pellets. Tilapia should be fine as well though. You can try garlic guard to help entice them or maybe soaking the pellets in bloodworms etc. I personally prefer stuffing frozen with pellets because I believe it's more nutritional that way. You don't have to do the vitamins but pellet stuffing I think is the way to go personally. Others I believe try to make their own food with things like tilapia, shrimp, mussels etc. Some use gelatin to make cubes with several things like that to diversify the diets of primarily piscivorous fish to help them get a varied balanced diet
Thanks for the advice, I think I’m going to make a homemade garlic guard and mix it in with pellets for him. I actually fed him some more convict fry this morning but he didn’t budge!! He actually went up for Hikari pellets instead!!!! He was feasting with the other tank mates. Im excited and hopefully this guy can gain some weight within these coming weeks!

Marximus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2021
www.youtube.com
If still skinny after all that eating I’d consider prazipro he might have internal parasites too..or load pellets with api general cure..goodluck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store