Peaceful crayfish?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Yes, both bamboo shrimp and vampire shrimp are filter feeders, however, the vampire shrimp is a much larger filter feeder and thus requires more food. Let me put it to you like this, there is an ecosystem that has a medium carnivore and in order to keep everything in order it takes 20 pairs of herbivores constantly reproducing to keep the carnivore fed. If you trade the medium carnivore for a large carnivore then everything will get out of whack. In order to be able to sustain the large carnivore 50 pairs of herbivores would be needed. In order to get the 50 pairs of herbivores you need to give the ecosystem time to adapt and let the number of herbivores rise to sustainable levels before introducing the large carnivore.

The carnivores are the bamboo and vampire shrimp. The herbivores are the particles in the water or the maturity of the tank.

It will take less time to get a tank mature enough for a bamboo shrimp than a vampire shrimp.

All of the stuff mentioned above is why I didn’t mention vampire shrimp just yet, I wanted to get a feel on how op felt about the other filter feeders before implanting the vampire shrimp into his mind. Just to make sure he was willing to meet the requirements of the smaller filter feeders before introducing him the the biggest one.

brown_raptor1986

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
If the ghost shrimp don’t work out then try amano shrimp, they get bigger. If they dont end up working out then you could get bamboo shrimp if you prepare the tank for them.
Thanks, I might actually opt for the amano shrimp instead since they're relatively larger than the ghost shrimp. Much appreciated!

brown_raptor1986

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Are you also wishing for them to breed as well? If so then the bamboo shrimp and amano shrimp won’t be able to breed since they require brackish water for the fry to develop.

If you really want to give the shrimp a head start then you could introduce the shrimp first and let them get settled in then introduce the blue gourami.
Thanks, that suggestion makes sense. Based on what you've told me, I might opt for a combination of ghost and amano shrimp.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Glad I could help :)

Also noob, ghost shrimp are cheap enough that it won’t be a great loss. If he ends up letting the shrimp get settled in and breeding before the boue gourami then I’d say there’s a pretty good chance of the ghost shrimp keeping a stable population.

Reactions: brown_raptor1986

brown_raptor1986

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Glad I could help :)

Also noob, ghost shrimp are cheap enough that it won’t be a great loss. If he ends up letting the shrimp get settled in and breeding before the boue gourami then I’d say there’s a pretty good chance of the ghost shrimp keeping a stable population.
Yep, it would be great if I could have a self-sustaining population of shrimp that can be used to provide occassional feeders. I was initially planing to use a marble cray for that purpose but decided against it after reading the responses here. On a somewhat related note, has anyone tried keeping Mexican dwarf crays in a community tank? They're supposedly more peaceful than larger crayfish but I'd rather verify that claim with those who've actually kept them before. Again, thanks.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I have kept them before. Granted it was only once and it ended with them dying quickly I still kept them. They are a really peaceful species and if not given a safe place to molt then any other fish can attack and kill them with ease.

brown_raptor1986

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
I have kept them before. Granted it was only once and it ended with them dying quickly I still kept them. They are a really peaceful species and if not given a safe place to molt then any other fish can attack and kill them with ease.
Thanks for replying. Would providing multiple tank ornaments which they can hide in, improve their chances of surivival?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I would say it would improve their odds of surviving greatly especially when it comes time to molt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store