Peaceful midsize cichlids?

karpomatic

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2006
Vineland, NJ
I would. have liked to get more Uarus, I think they are the most peaceful cichlids I have known. They definitely like to be together and a group would be good. But when I got mine there were only 3 left and one was not in good condition. Not seen any more for sale since. I have no idea what sex mine are.
M Mazan I do breed and sell Uaru. I can ship if you're in the USA.

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
Maybe you can help me understand my ph better. My local water report says it's 7.3. It of the tap it reads mid 7s. Out of the tank it looks over 8 to me. I have a couple chunks of mopani driftwood in the tank, stoney river aquarium sand, and a few rocks but they're not limestone or coral based. 20230131_112711.jpg20230131_113158.jpg20230131_113352.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Ok, my water tests out at Ph 8.2, Kh 7, and Gh somewhere north of 25. I’m moving away from my favorite continent of SA because my G tapajo have HITH and my woodcats fins are melting away. My Silver Dollars are starting to show some effects too but not as drastically. My H liberifers, G brasiliensis and H temporalis are good so far.
G brasiliensis is listed as being able to live in water with pH: 6.0 – 8.0 and Hardness: 18 – 268 ppm. My male was over 10in when he died and my female is pushing 8in.
Geophagines are often the 1st to show signs of HITH if forced to live in water they have not evolved to live in. That said
The Geophaggus braziliensus group is one of the exceptions, because they are not Amazonian basin soft water cichlids, they come from further south along the coast in Brazil where water conditions are quite different, and are even sometimes found in brackish water in river deltas.
There is talk of actually removing them from the genus Geophagus, because of their differences

It sometimes takes until about 2 or 3 years of age for some Amazonians to show the chronic effects or the harder water bacteria that cause HITH.

Reactions: fishguy1978

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
This could be quite an interesting exercise. Both myself and fishguy1978 fishguy1978 have similar sized/aged chocolate cichlids. His PH, along with Something Fishy Here Something Fishy Here is quite high. My PH on the other hand is 6.5 to 7.0.

We both have threads on our chocolate cichlids and I think it would be a worthwhile experiment to see what happens further down the road. It'll never be a conclusive experiment, it's hardly done in a lab setting, and other factors may be at play too, but nonetheless I think it would be interesting to see how our chocs fare as time goes by.

Are you up for this fishguy?

Reactions: Mazan

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
This could be quite an interesting exercise. Both myself and fishguy1978 fishguy1978 have similar sized/aged chocolate cichlids. His PH, along with Something Fishy Here Something Fishy Here is quite high. My PH on the other hand is 6.5 to 7.0.

We both have threads on our chocolate cichlids and I think it would be a worthwhile experiment to see what happens further down the road. It'll never be a conclusive experiment, it's hardly done in a lab setting, and other factors may be at play too, but nonetheless I think it would be interesting to see how our chocs fare as time goes by.

Are you up for this fishguy?
Possibly, my choco’s aren’t listed for sale because I don’t want to give them up.

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
I didn't mean to come off as dismissive the other day Duanes, I do appreciate oyur advice and highly respect your knowledge and experience. At the end of the day I do want happy healthy fish and get frustrated when i feel limited by my water and current setup. I still would like a little bigger fish than I know you would advise, but your advice does not always fall on deaf ears. I di get a red hump geo as opposed to several other options based on your information that they come from harder water sources. Anyway just wanted to say thanks for all the info and experience you share with us.

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
Maybe, since your water is higher ph and hard....maybe some West Andes species. Are you sure you just don't want to keep the Stalsbergi or Saums? I mean one at 8-10 inches would be a nice centerpiece for a 4 foot tank. Fish 12 and over mae a 4 foot tank look much smaller than it is imho. Maybe somebody will chime in with some alternatives from that end of SA.

I ended up scrapping and consolidating 3 x 4 foot tanks I had in my apt for 1 x 6 footer some years back. Although it opened up my options for stocking,...now I suffer from the opposite, not knowing what I actually want to keep in my single display tank. I have spent more time rehoming fish to other hobbyists than growing them out. Besides, being a colossal waste of money...it simply doesn't make me feel good...or responsible. Completely neurotic behavior, but it is something I am working on it. Family wants me to move to Florida and get a nursing job/house near Nokomis/Sarasota....at least thereI I can have a Pond or pull Mayans and Amphilophus out of the backyard creek lol. Good Luck my friend hope you settle on some fish!

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
I thought about the gt a long time and would be fine with an 8 to 10 inch centerpice, but from many threads on here i've read that once they hit 6 inches they won't be just the centerpiece, they'll be the solo fish and kill off their tankmates. I am old enough to know we can't always have what we want but my goal was to have a small group (4-6) fish with one centerpiece 8 inch, to 12, I'm not stuck on 12, but that was my upper limit. I definitely know what you mean though, only 1 tank and i don't want to keep changing stock and rehoming fish, I just want to pick some pretty fish and put them in and take care of them, grow them out and enjoy them.

Reactions: Wharf
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store