Peacock Bass Breeding Setup

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
Could a peacock bass and a goldfish interbreed? I'm sure the offspring would be sterile but since the goldfish are tetraploids the seem to be able to cross with prettymuch anything.
Sure they can. I have a tank of them right now. Hang on. I'll post some pics :screwy:

rlane

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Morristown, NJ
I've bred my peacocks a bunch, as long as your water parameters are where they are supposed to be and you have a pair they aren't that tough to breed. If you are serious about breeding them, keep the pair alone and do frequent water changes. I do a 50-60% change per week. Make sure you keep them very well fed, I feed mine primarily pellets but also will give them just about any fish I can get cheap smelt, tilapia, trout, flounder, cod, tuna, you name it I give it to them. When I start to see them showing spawning behavior, I will feed them some salmon as it's high in fat and I found that gets the eggs to sick better but there may not be any science behind this and I could just be making that up. I then will do 30% water changes daily for 3 days or so and on the 4th day I will do another change but will make the water just tad cooler so the tank drops about 2 degrees in temp (I keep my mature bass in 80-81 degrees) and the day after that cool change they almost always spawn.

Once the eggs are laid they hatch in 60 hours. I always removed my eggs and put them in their own 10 gallon tank with nothing else but a sponge filter in it. Once they hatch it takes the. About a 2-3 days to be free swimming and when they do you need to have a lot of newly hatched brine shrimp. I have tried every food imaginable and have not zero luck with anything except for newly hatched brine shrimp. They grow very quickly and you can start to get them on frozen brine shrimp and other foods but for the very beginning you need live baby brine.

For me breeding peacock bass is the easy part, it is raising the fry that is the hard part.

Reactions: Browning
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store