Peacock bass won't eat

pcb0832

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2015
Hi I have 2 peacock bass about 8inches in length they are in a 110G gallon aquarium at the moment (soon to be moved to a 400G), I've had them for about 4 days now and every time to try to feed them they won't eat. I've tried pellets which they go for and then spit them out (Hikari cichlid gold and Northfin tropical sticks), raw shrimp, crayfish which were bred by me, and roses reds which I got from a buddy that breeds them. They refuse to eat anything. Their only tank mate is a pleco. I've tested my water and everything is fine I've had this tank up for nearly 6 months. I had an arowana in it prior to these guys but unfortunately I lost him after he jumped out of the tank (I now have a cover). Has anybody else had this problem with peacock bass?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
you've only had them 4 days, they might still be settling in to their surroundings. turn off the lights and let them be for a few days. I've had new fish eat right out of the bag and others take a week to start eating.

If they mouth pellets try presoaking the pellets in something like boyds vitachem or garlic guard to soften the pellets a little and give them a different taste. Its a good sign they even mouth pellets and don't take live food, your journey to the cichla world sounds like its going to be an easy one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store