Peacock Bass

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
hi guys,

managed to get my hands on another cute little peacock bass. :) this one looks diffrent from the ones i currently have. anyone have any ideas on what type of peacock bass is this?

its diffrent in term of its horizontal black line it has. the others that i've got has 3 disntict black stripes or spots. :)

Here's the diffrence.

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
That is a CIchla Temensis.

THose others are either Ocellaris or Monoculus.

great babies!

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
PeacockBass said:
That is a CIchla Temensis.

THose others are either Ocellaris or Monoculus.

great babies!
thanks. both looks nice.

they are also very gready. look at their tummies.......bloated as they suck in small pieces of market prawns.

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Well, you've gone and done it!! Now your gonna be hooked on pbass for life!! They are absolutely pimp fish eh? First of all, you will want a lot of Ich treatment on hand. These guys are notorious for gettin ich when they are small...or even when they are large...but more so at smaller sizes. One thing that really helps is to keep the temp of the water high...like in the 82 to 84 degrees range...that seems to help keep the ich away. Secondly...i know its really kewl to see these guys smack those feeder fish, but you should really get them offa them as soon as possible. Cocktail shrimp, bloodworms, mysis shrimp are some great foods for baby pbass. Also, they seem to like to be in larger groups when they are smaller...so if you can get a couple more...say at least 3 more. Hope that helps some dude...and i hope you do have a larger tank for when they get larger. They WILL get large...no doubt of that...min. tank size you are gonna need is a 300gal...and that is really pushing it. Cheers,
Jer

xrtg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
Singapore
Peanut_Power said:
Well, you've gone and done it!! Now your gonna be hooked on pbass for life!! They are absolutely pimp fish eh? First of all, you will want a lot of Ich treatment on hand. These guys are notorious for gettin ich when they are small...or even when they are large...but more so at smaller sizes. One thing that really helps is to keep the temp of the water high...like in the 82 to 84 degrees range...that seems to help keep the ich away. Secondly...i know its really kewl to see these guys smack those feeder fish, but you should really get them offa them as soon as possible. Cocktail shrimp, bloodworms, mysis shrimp are some great foods for baby pbass. Also, they seem to like to be in larger groups when they are smaller...so if you can get a couple more...say at least 3 more. Hope that helps some dude...and i hope you do have a larger tank for when they get larger. They WILL get large...no doubt of that...min. tank size you are gonna need is a 300gal...and that is really pushing it. Cheers,
Jer
yeah man. staring to like them more and more. quite cool when you see them snatch food from my albibno angels. i've already go them off feeders and they are now on market prawn diet. hoping to get them off market prawn and into pellets when the grow larger.

i'll stick to 3 of them for the time being cos i'll have problems housing them if i get more. :)

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
piranha45 said:
Or maybe people just aren't keeping them in the aquarium sizes they need... perhaps the small peacock bass found in the aquaria are a sign that 240g is not suitable for life, for Temensis at the very least. Only speculation, since I have no hard evidence, but I think its still a very viable argument.

xrtg a 125g would prolly work for a year or two, depending on your peacock's specie... since you're in singapore, I don't have any clue whether temensis is regularly available there or not. Temensis is the biggest specie, which can reach 3 feet. The other two species available, ocellaris and monoculus, max around 2 feet.

peacock bass make good tankmates for arrows and datnoids and most large popular fish for that matter. Feed them the same stuff you feed your other fish, and keep them at the same temp you keep your other fish. But if possible, it would be best to feed your peacocks live feeder fish such as barbs or platies; peacocks are fish-eaters in the wild, and so they'd appreciate live food the most. Expect growth around 1" a month till maybe 8" or so.

Just saw this thread again.

P45 - Exactly. How many home aquariums do you know have a capacity of at least 1 thousand gallons? How many here on this board?? less than 5 i would assume out of how many members we currently have?

I had the experience of owning a pond that was 15 ft long and 5 ft wide. I kept
hybrid tilapias and cichlids... pond was filtered properly, water was changed every 2 weeks and food adequate. I gave several pieces of tilapias to a friend who had dirt ponds with running water ( he was breeding apple snails.)... the tilapias i gave him were the smallest runts out of 200 pcs ++ .. in a month it was bigger than the biggest tilapia that i had ! By the way.. he never fed the fish anything.

Anyone care to guess why?

nick

Candiru
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
meriden ,ct
tilapia either like apple snails or filtered the water

i know they filter algae and pythoplankton as juveniles and as soon as they hit breeding age they are harvested in SA (in brazils jungles) farmers will fertilize the water and the algae will bloom while the tilapia are put in as juveniles

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store