Peacock cichlid stocking help? 44 gal.

MineralMagic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2015
Hi guys, so im currently setting up my first cichlid tank- its a big step up from guppies and platys, but im think im ready! I've just been figuring out exact ammounts of fish for the tank. The tank itself is 4 feet long, holds 44 gal (It was made in AU so i think thats why its a weird amount) and it comes in a set with a filter and a heater. The filter is one of those over the back filters that kind of waterfall in, (if you even know what i mean. lol) and it was made for the tank. Anywho- heres the sort of stocking i was planning, please critique me strongly, i need it!

9 peacocks, starting at juviniles from my lfs
3 yellow labs, a breeding group
1 brittle nose catfish.

What do you guys think? feel free to change the numbers, i don't NEED the yellow labs, though i'd love them- but the peacocks certainly have to stay. :)

dovii_6

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2014
Asheville NC
Two different types of attitudes and you'll eventually need a bigger tank scratch the bristle nose get a synodontis catfish. You'll need rocky structures at the bottom for your labs which are mbuna. As well as open space for your open water swimming peacocks. It's possible but know you'll need a bigger tank once the peacocks mature. Do you know what kind of peacocks they are?

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

MineralMagic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2015
Two different types of attitudes and you'll eventually need a bigger tank scratch the bristle nose get a synodontis catfish. You'll need rocky structures at the bottom for your labs which are mbuna. As well as open space for your open water swimming peacocks. It's possible but know you'll need a bigger tank once the peacocks mature. Do you know what kind of peacocks they are?
Just basic peacocks from the pet store? Is there any sort of variation I should watch out for? I was going to get a dragon blood- thats the only kind I know, there's some nice blue peacocks, and some yellows I like- I think, because I'm only getting males, if I have some large adults to get rid of I don't think it will be to hard to rehome them (and get a little cash too! ) Also, the catfish your talking about are really expensive, like $60, do you think I should just forget about the catfish thing, the only problem is the tanks kind of close to the window and I'm worried about algae. Thanks for your help!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I know nothing of cichlids in general haha, but depending on the species of syno a 44gal may get a little cramped. I know I wouldn't put my eupterus in one for a forever home.

I think a bristlenose should do just fine in that tank however...

dovii_6

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2014
Asheville NC
At the end of the day a bigger tank is going to be needed no matter the type of catfish

I know nothing of cichlids in general haha, but depending on the species of syno a 44gal may get a little cramped. I know I wouldn't put my eupterus in one for a forever home.

I think a bristlenose should do just fine in that tank however...

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

MineralMagic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2015
a bristle nose would be fine in that I would say for life. They definitely don't get monstrous
At the end of the day a bigger tank is going to be needed no matter the type of catfish
What if I just sell the fish when they get to big, and keep getting new ones? This is my first tank and the 44 is the ABSOLUTE biggest my parents will go- they've made that clear.

MineralMagic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2015
What if I just sell the fish when they get to big, and keep getting new ones? This is my first tank and the 44 is the ABSOLUTE biggest my parents will go- they've made that clear.
I feel like it wouldn't be to hard to rehome adult male peacocks- like, you can sell them for $30 if yah do it right.

alecrromine

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2015
Kentucky
I took two shots at African cichlids. Never again.
But with my little experience with them, I would watch your blue fish. I bought some "peacock cichlids" that turned out to be eb ahli and haps. They were real pricks. Eventually killing all of their tank mates. Not sure if my experiences are unique but I wouldn't think so. Mostly gave up on them because they were my wife's fish when she said my hoplias in the living room was ugly and boring, so he got banished to the fish room. After those, I went back to ca/sa cichlids.

MineralMagic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2015
I took two shots at African cichlids. Never again.
But with my little experience with them, I would watch your blue fish. I bought some "peacock cichlids" that turned out to be eb ahli and haps. They were real pricks. Eventually killing all of their tank mates. Not sure if my experiences are unique but I wouldn't think so. Mostly gave up on them because they were my wife's fish when she said my hoplias in the living room was ugly and boring, so he got banished to the fish room. After those, I went back to ca/sa cichlids.
Alright- so, no blues at all? theres some blues with yellow on them i like, i figured they'd be peacocks? Thanks so much for the tip.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store