peacocks yellow labs and demasoni

boogs1989

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2019
canary islands
ok... so new to the site. I've just got back into cichlids and I've got so far 10 juvenile peacock cichlids around 6 - 7cm 3 yellow labs around 4cm and 4 demassoni around 2cm maybe 1.5cm in a 400litre aquarium 105gallon I think. and I'm gona be getting another 10 peacocks over the next couple weeks. my question to everyone is... are the demasoni going to grow up and kick the crap out of my tank? or by just keeping 4 of them and keeping the peacocks heavily stocked maybe a few more yellow labs will it be ok.
I've kept yellow labs and peacocks together happily all breeding in past. but never kept demassoni

boogs1989

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2019
canary islands
ok. well I'm gona try it out for now and add another 5 peacocks and see how it goes. my last cichlid aquarium was a 500litre with 16peacocks and 8 yellow labs. but I moved countries so they had to all be rehomed. I'll keep you all updated if they get on well with each other.

boogs1989

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2019
canary islands
I know demassoni have to be kept in bigger groups but to be honest the only reason I bought the labs and demasoni is because they needed saving from this shop. basically a pets smart of spain... so thought I'll rehome these before they end up dead in bottom of tank

-Die4U-

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2019
The demassoni wont beat up the others just them selves . Maybe the Demons <-- would be ok if it was 1 male and three females ,but more than one male in them little numbers means males will be killing males . I have issues with my OB peacocks . I can only have 1 male OB in a tank . I might need to add some more fish to help with the aggression issues too

boogs1989

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2019
canary islands
The demassoni wont beat up the others just them selves . Maybe the Demons <-- would be ok if it was 1 male and three females ,but more than one male in them little numbers means males will be killing males . I have issues with my OB peacocks . I can only have 1 male OB in a tank . I might need to add some more fish to help with the aggression issues too
so far so good... i have in my aquarium 2 OB.. 3 strawberry red (which was a bargain at 2.50€ each)...2 red shoulders... Ruben reds and some.other peacocks which I dont know what they are but some mixed colours coming out and there is now 7 yellow labs... the demasoni are doing fine aswell.... problem is my gf has a thing for blue fish and just came back the other day with 3 blue fish saying I got you more of the them blue ones but there lighter in colour this time... she brought home 3 kenyi.... not cool.... there in but being observed carefully. to be fair at the min the labs and peacocks aren't letting any aggression come from them and there even getting along with demasoni to an extent. 20190924_124842.jpg20190924_124834.jpg20190924_124752.jpg20190924_124806.jpg

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Don't want to open another topic. Can I keep just one demasoni in my cichlid community tank.

I read they are super aggressive but is it ok to just house one demasoni with other cichlids like peacocks and less aggressive mbunas like yellow lab etc? I don't want a bully in my tank. I tried to google but couldn't find a specific answer if this fish will behave with other cichlids or not. Some say it goes after other demasonis but some links say that thdy should be kept in a demasoni only tank as it will kill any other cichlids.

Please advise.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I've been keeping demasoni for 14 years and peacocks almost as long. I would not mix, if the demasoni don't end up stressing the peacocks causing illness/injury/death then I would expect the peacocks would at least not show their best colors. Also I like peacocks in a harem or a single male with no other peacocks that look like him in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store