Pearsei need help asap

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Found him like this today. Could this be dropsey? Im planning on moving him to another tank for treatment but im not sure how to proceed.

DMD123 DMD123
Kids are going to be crushed

Ammonia and nitrite are undetectable. Nitrate currently between 10 and 20.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If this is overnight, I would assume bacterial infection, treating in a separate tank with kanaplex and methylene blue. The QT only needs a heater and airstone. Be sure to change 25% of the water everyday.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I edited the shot to better see what was going on, and the protruding scales are common in dropsy.
This often happens to pearcei that get too much protein, if housed with carnivorous fish (they can't help themselves if it's there).
They are almost total vegetarians in nature, and need that constant ruffage of leaves and fibrous plants to help purge their gut, otherwise protein gets caught up in their long (vegetarian type) intestines creating bacterial infections and blockages.
An long Epsom salt bath could help, if its not too far gone.
Below is a page from my veterinary textbook showing a blockage in a pearsei, probably used because these blockages are very common in vegetarian type species, like it and bocourti.

Reactions: deeda

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I agree with duanes. I would do the epsom salt bath asap. Hope he pulls through man. Good luck

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
View attachment 1365402
I edited the shot to better see what was going on, and the protruding scales are common in dropsy.
This often happens to pearcei that get too much protein, if housed with carnivorous fish (they can't help themselves if it's there).
They are almost total vegetarians in nature, and need that constant ruffage of leaves and fibrous plants to help purge their gut, otherwise protein gets caught up in their long (vegetarian type) intestines creating bacterial infections and blockages.
An long Epsom salt bath could help, if its not too far gone.
Below is a page from my veterinary textbook showing a blockage in a pearsei, probably used because these blockages are very common in vegetarian type species, like it and bocourti.
View attachment 1365403
So my fears confirmed. Gotta run out and pick up some epsom salts. The majority of his diet is made up of nls algaemax and theraA. Occasionally he will take some of the megafish formula meant for the carnivores but this isnt common as he gets fed 1st.

Its not looking good. I was assisting swim by hand, id be surprised if he made it through the night

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Oh no! I hope he pulls thrugh. Good luck getting him back to health.
This is my fault man. After we moved things were hectic and i got away from the veggies. When i tried to re-introduce them he refused. I never took the time to starve him out. Ive lost fish it sucks but not the end of the world this ones gonna sting

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
This is my fault man. After we moved things were hectic and i got away from the veggies. When i tried to re-introduce them he refused. I never took the time to starve him out. Ive lost fish it sucks but not the end of the world this ones gonna sting
Yeah, not the end of the world but still sucks. The Hulk was an amazing fish.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Yeah, not the end of the world but still sucks. The Hulk was an amazing fish.
Thx brother. My son is gonna be the problem man. Wife is already upset.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
If this is overnight, I would assume bacterial infection, treating in a separate tank with kanaplex and methylene blue. The QT only needs a heater and airstone. Be sure to change 25% of the water everyday.
Thx rock. Dosed the kanaplex and epsom salt. Lowered the water level a bit to helo keep him down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store