Pellet battle

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I’m guessing that she’ll hold out longer than you want to wait and that you’ll end up feeding tilapia again. Lol.

I was fortunate that my endli didn’t take long to switch from live red wigglers to pellets. Although, I’ve heard members mention that it won’t take them long to go for a dirty sock. Lol.

Now, my endli will eat pretty much anything it can get ahold of, which is mostly Massivore.

Have you tried mixing the pellets and frozen tilapia together and dumping them all into the tank? It might help get some of the tilapia taste onto the pellets. It will also put the pellets and tilapia in the same proximity so that a pellet might get eaten with the tilapia by mistake. I’m pretty sure that’s how my endli got started on them.

Alexkoj

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2017
The Lion City
I never got around to forcing sp.candy bar to eat pellets. She'll only eat tilapia. I don't feel like they get the best growth on strictly chopped fish so last week I started feeding only pellets been 10 days of her refusing them. I'm confident I'll break her but the biggest concern is the small wolf.

I've never had a poly refuse pellets for more than a few days. So this is a challenge

Let's see who can guess how long she'll hold out. I'm saying 19 days total.

What's your guess on how long it will take ?
Lol... the two 16” congicus I’ve had for 3 months have never had a bite of pellets at all. One of em even went 1.5 miserable months without having a bite. I was afraid it would stave itself to death so every time I observed that its belly got very sunken I’d throw in some fillets.

TLDR, I hope you don’t get drawn into a battle lasting months like the one I’m stuck in

Alexkoj

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2017
The Lion City
Maybe 8-12 weeks. :eek: My big congicus went 8-10 weeks. Still didn't eat a single dam pellet. Now I'm back to feeding fish and pellets. My bichirs were just eating pellets for weeks! :p
So after 8-10 weeks you decided to feed it fish again? Hao Hao I’m in a similar dilemma regarding my Congis

Reactions: Polyaddict86

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Ever considered maybe stuffing pellets into the tilapia? Like slice the tilapia in half long ways and scoop out little chunks pellet sized then find a way to tie it back together?

I remember reading something about how to feed a long nose butterfly (saltwater but could still apply). Well anyway, the butterfly would only eat a certain food so he put that food in a clam shell for him to pick it out of. Eventually he put some of the stuff he wanted him to eat in with what the butterfly would eat. He didn't know what he was eating until it was halfway down his throat so he had no choice but to eat it.
Any chance of being able to do something like that?^

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I always train them with tilapia pellet meatballs but that won't work. Too many other fish to Target feed her. If it weren't for the little wolf I wouldn't be concerned. I always found that they learn from their tankmates, watching them eat pellets they always give in. She's just really stubborn

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Perhaps a quarantine tank? You've probably already thought of that already though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store