PERENTIE LIZARD ( Varanus giganteus )

LRM

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
RI USA/Brisbane AUS
A. gigas;4483396; said:
but people still keep those don't they?
also, those traits may be considered desirable by many people. big pythons are often kept simply because they are so big, and an active animal is almost always more attractive in terms of viewing.

i would love one, i really like the patterns. although i dont think i would pay that much for one.. unless i could breed them:D
Certainly people do still keep them. And I would agree with you that some do it simply because they are so big and active. However this does not by any means make them suitable animals for the pet trade.

I would argue that almost even some of the most experienced hobbyists are still grossly ill equipped with both the facilities, and understanding required to keep the Varanids I mentioned above both mentally and physically healthy for the entirety of their lifespans.

As an example of just how unsuitable they are, if you google the phrase "croc monitor" these are the first pictures you get. Keep in mind, these were both inflicted by a "tame" croc monitor.

Please understand that I've been keeping reptiles for the past 18 years and now study them as a researcher. I whole heartedly defend the right to keep reptiles as pets, but I also believe very strongly that it is animals such as the ones we're talking about here that are the cause for the best arguments against our hobby.

RMorrow

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2010
Missouri
The Dallas Zoo used to have a great display of Perenties. Does anyone know if that is still the case?

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
EricIvins;4480973; said:
I'm always up for some thread necrotizing.......

They have been offered in the Private community, and I believe they all ended up in Japan........$30,000 each.........

Frank Retes still has a Female that's alive and kicking, last I heard.......Many attempts have been made to utilize those genetics, but the AZA has effectively put a stop to it........
You beat me to it. Why does not AZA accept the female? Because the guy´s facility isnt accepted by it?
By the way I herd that besides several zoos there are a very few privatly kept in Europe, those are however old by now.

EricIvins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2009
Florida
coura;4484855; said:
You beat me to it. Why does not AZA accept the female? Because the guy´s facility isnt accepted by it?
By the way I herd that besides several zoos there are a very few privatly kept in Europe, those are however old by now.

Because of AZA politics, and the fact that he's had more success in one year than alot of AZA Zoos put together........

RMorrow

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2010
Missouri
Truer words have rarely been spoken, EricIvins. I think it is because the private citizen has a vested financial interest in breeding success when the zoo does not, and I often think the keepers are caught in the middle of what they could do and what they are allowed to do.

On a second note, I loved the Perentie stuff but Austin Stevens is a complete d____ bag! The only thing worse than his total lack of herp knowledge is his overwhelming urge to share his ignorance.

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
RMorrow;4484972; said:
Truer words have rarely been spoken, EricIvins. I think it is because the private citizen has a vested financial interest in breeding success when the zoo does not, and I often think the keepers are caught in the middle of what they could do and what they are allowed to do.

On a second note, I loved the Perentie stuff but Austin Stevens is a complete d____ bag! The only thing worse than his total lack of herp knowledge is his overwhelming urge to share his ignorance.
Well, at least he can jump, run and break his ribs in the process.

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
EricIvins;4484888; said:
Because of AZA politics, and the fact that he's had more success in one year than alot of AZA Zoos put together........
Wow men, that sucks. Wont he be able to get a male from any possible source or send the gall on a loan, etc. Any thoughs?

coura

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
europe
LRM;4484292; said:
Please understand that I've been keeping reptiles for the past 18 years and now study them as a researcher. I whole heartedly defend the right to keep reptiles as pets, but I also believe very strongly that it is animals such as the ones we're talking about here that are the cause for the best arguments against our hobby.
If you ask me I think these species do belong in private hands under a strict but rational legislation. I cant agree on croc monitors being kept without any kind of permit, for example, because as you in such a good way showed they are capable of horrendous damage. That is one animal I so far had only contact with twice in a friends colection and I dont trust one bit, they give you weird stares. And of corse they need a ginormous amount of space in order be healty and even possible training. Private yes but under specic conditions.

EricIvins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2009
Florida
coura;4485618; said:
Wow men, that sucks. Wont he be able to get a male from any possible source or send the gall on a loan, etc. Any thoughs?
No, and uh.....No.....

He's not one to send one of his animals that he's had for years to a "facility", just to watch them kill her off......He's got the experience and the know how to do it himself, just no Male to do it with......

Once an animal gets in private hands, they aren't considered Zoo worthy anymore.......Afterall, why pay to see it when you can go somewhere else and see it for free? How many Lacies do you see in Zoos?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store