Pet octopus?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I've seen them in the hobby before but, not since they became labeled as 'Endangered'.

A few suppliers still list them but, it's hit or miss on availability. If you're set on these, be sure to have a chilled established tank ready for them.

Flying Fish Express; Nautilus pompilius; $109
Petswarehouse.com; " ; $125

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I've seen them in the hobby before but, not since they became labeled as 'Endangered'.

A few suppliers still list them but, it's hit or miss on availability. If you're set on these, be sure to have a chilled established tank ready for them.

Flying Fish Express; Nautilus pompilius; $109
Petswarehouse.com; " ; $125
They're endangered????? When did this happen?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Their shells have always been in big demand. They used to offered empty shells found washed up along beaches. For the last few decades, live ones have been over-fished to gather their shells for the tourist trade. They were recently included into CITES.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Their shells have always been in big demand. They used to offered empty shells found washed up along beaches. For the last few decades, live ones have been over-fished to gather their shells for the tourist trade. They were recently included into CITES.
I just went and read the Wiki entry about it, wasn't super-informative though. Well, good job Humans. We did it again. Find something cool and we wipe it out

Abalone making a comeback out there yet Oddball Oddball ?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Still too many poachers. The Abalone Recovery and Management Plan (ARMP) posted their latest assessment with mixed reviews. Basically, they state that even though abalone fishing has been severely curtailed, poaching is the main reason that recovery of both white and red abalone is so slow. Other reasons include the recovery of the sea otter populations. As the number of sea otters increases, the number of shellfish species impacted come under additional strain. This includes abalone, crabs, urchins, etc. Minor additional influences include direct pollution and run-off. ARMP's conclusions are leading towards additional collection numbers restrictions and closing off additional collection areas.

Reactions: Frank Castle

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I like them because they are primitive, but wouldn't want to keep one.:)
I saw one in a shop years ago and was told that they did not even order it,it came in a rock shipment.I was amazed to actually see a real live one in a shop but was also a little sad as the thing looked to be in bad shape.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Most pet shops are not set up to maintain nautili since they heat their shops instead of individual tanks. These cephs prefer cooler water than tropical species and suffer atlong durations of tropical temps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store