PETA Hates The Aquarium Hobby! (article)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Okay.. I read the article and I have to agree with it. I don't see what people are arguing about. Even on "passionate" sites like this one for fish keepers... how many people have you read about that ditch fish because their bored with them, use them for cycling and keep them in crappy conditions. It goes on and on.. hell, IMO about 90% of the picture posting I see are overstocked.

If you're arguing with this you're deluded.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Okay.. I read the article and I have to agree with it. I don't see what people are arguing about. Even on "passionate" sites like this one for fish keepers... how many people have you read about that ditch fish because their bored with them, use them for cycling and keep them in crappy conditions. It goes on and on.. hell, IMO about 90% of the picture posting I see are overstocked.

If you're arguing with this you're deluded.
I know people do this. They constantly sell fish they own. I personally would not/ never have but people do. and NO tank is the same as "the wild". but if we just left all fish in the wild and ignored them and according to peta not fish (as a sport) then, since nobody would acknowledge fishes existence as a species peta would no longer care about how fish were treated. BOOM!!! I REALLY wanna take the PETA CEO out for a nice cheeseburger meal dinner :D and if they spill paint on me i will spill battery acid on them :D Im just kidding about that last part...

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Should PETA not realize that the pet trade isn't going away and that they should really be encouraging people to treat pet fish like most hobbyists who try there hardest and care a lot about there fish?

Sent from my HTC Desire C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
oh and they are also against fishing as a sport.
these people are hypocritical fools that need to be stopped.

.........................................they're gonna here from me pretty soon, you should make an anti PETA actions petition on the forum, I'd sign for sure.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
.........................................they're gonna here from me pretty soon, you should make an anti PETA actions petition on the forum, I'd sign for sure.
Well... let's say PETA's "shelter". ... . ... :D SHELTER?!? I CANT SAY THAT WITH A STRAIGHT FACE! :D anyways, Lets say that PETA's slaughterhouse is closed and all animals taken... their followers will STILL do stupid stuff... if not MORE stupid stuff because of anger. But, we COULD do something like promote good fish keeping and "steer people in the right direction" without being so irrational and pushy like PETA. ANd if fish keepers become more responsible as a whole then there will never BE any reason to take down our hobby, RIGHT? I mean... this would be a VERY difficult task but it is a good way to go about it... maybe somebody ca start a "FISH SHELTER" and take in all types of large unwanted fish and adopt them out? I don't know but i think that sounds really cool! :D

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
Furiousfish:

You should tell them, that 99.999% of humans that live in North America today is an invasive species! The sad thing is, many more will come in the future! We destroyed the environment, we paved many concretes jungle over forests and plains, we should be the one who get evicted! Right? :D

If keeping fish in tanks is unethical, then how about invasive species?

PETA shouldn't allow foreign invasive species to set foot in North America's soil too! So, unless they move their sorry ass off North America, then they can't speak about how badly the fish hobby is! In my opinion, they are just a bunch of QQ hypocrites, correct? :D

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I'll play devils advocate... mind you I didn't even read the article... I presume it focuses on fish treatment.. but it is true that the aquarium trade significantly contributes to:

Exploitation of wild fish and coral- in some cases full extinction

The spread of invasive species

and on what they are probably focusing on... I think its accurate to say that most pet fish are kept in substandard conditions. I can very easily base this on what I see. Hell, about half pet stores keep fish in substandard conditions... can't expect the public to do better.

I'm sure this isn't a popular opinion here.. but the truth sometimes sucks.
I think you have some problems with your points.

Aquarium also saved many species from the extinction and some of them are returning to the wild. Butterfly Splitfin is an example.

Most invasive species are escapees from fish farms or used as a bait but almost never a result of an individual releasing the aquarium fishes into the waters. Majority of invasive species are farmed (tilapia, snakehead, carps, walking catfish etc). Goldfish is also a popular bait in most states where it is legal.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
So I'm planning on getting a snakehead(dwark species) and a black ghost knife fish in my 400g, good idea to put the bgk in first or the snakehead?

Sent from my HTC Desire C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I think you have some problems with your points.

Aquarium also saved many species from the extinction and some of them are returning to the wild. Butterfly Splitfin is an example.

Most invasive species are escapees from fish farms or used as a bait but almost never a result of an individual releasing the aquarium fishes into the waters. Majority of invasive species are farmed (tilapia, snakehead, carps, walking catfish etc). Goldfish is also a popular bait in most states where it is legal.

Hmm, I think its you with the myopic vision here.... so the aquarium trade decimated a fish population but you think it should get kudo's because for once it might have managed to reverse some of the damage in this single instance? That's awesome.

It all starts with some awareness and then change tends to follow. It would be interesting if they had to post mortality rates per fish sold on a per fish species basis. If you was looking at a fish and the placard noted that for that particular fish 20-40-or 60 had to die for everyone you see for sale, would that matter to you?

I went through this 25 years ago with a clique of friends that I had when I was into motorcycle and ATV riding… they was just passing (trying to) the clean streams act. It was the same thing then… everyone got all defensive… really wouldn’t even hear much less digest the argument. All they focused on what that their hobby was under attack. Of course one of the things that they like to do the most was destroy all the river access points within 100miles of us so this particulary partained to them.
It opened my eyes to what a bunch of ignorant hicks that I was calling friends. Sad to see the same mentality here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store