Picked me up a shoal of Exodons :)

SwissTrees

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Ohio
Hey FishKeepers,

So my Exodons just arrived yesterday and are settling in their new home!

Ill try and get some pics/video up once they get comfortable. These guys are about an inch and a half right now so still juveniles in the grand scheme of things. When do they usually start getting their redish/orange hue on the fins?

I turned down the lights for a couple hours after placing them in and then flicked them on to drop in some small pellets and they straight attacked them! Very rewarding to see when they had only been in the tank for a few hours lol.

Tell me your experiences if you have kept them!!

Reactions: FishBeast

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey FishKeepers,

So my Exodons just arrived yesterday and are settling in their new home!

Ill try and get some pics/video up once they get comfortable. These guys are about an inch and a half right now so still juveniles in the grand scheme of things. When do they usually start getting their redish/orange hue on the fins?

I turned down the lights for a couple hours after placing them in and then flicked them on to drop in some small pellets and they straight attacked them! Very rewarding to see when they had only been in the tank for a few hours lol.

Tell me your experiences if you have kept them!!

The only advice I can give you is not to add any other species of fish to cohab with the Exodons in the wild they are scale eaters but have experienced them attacking and eating any small fish to the bones being left like their bigger cousin the Pirahna.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
So cool, post a pic or video once they're settled in! Just curious what size tank one could keep a shoal of these guys in?

SwissTrees

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Ohio
14 in the shoal right now.
How about water flow? This was something I didnt find much info on. I know they are from the Amazon basin but not sure if that means high current rivers or some of the lesser flow tributaries/streams. I have a Fluval 306 with the standard "duckbill" power nozzle. Thinking about making my own spray bar to lessen the concentrated output of the nozzle as right now it is on one side of the tank spraying directly across. They seem to really fight it if they get right in the flow. But then again, they are small 1.5 juvies right now.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I had 3 canisters hooked up to my 135gallon and they had no problem swimming. I started out with around 21 or so. Can't remember it's been awhile and I ended up with 18 due to aggression. Now my brother has them and he has 14 or so left. My brother has them in a calm setting with slow current and tons of driftwood.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
All the ones I've dealt with seemed to have no issues with higher amounts of flow. Bigger groups are definitely better. The more the merrier. I've seen some catfish survive with Exos in larger planted setups but I'm not sure I would recommend it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store