Picking the right tank size for a solo fish

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Been thinking of trying to get back into peacock cichlids again lol I just don't have the tank space for em atm. That's the only bad thing about FH's is that ya have to dedicate a big tank to just a fish or 2.
I had my male in solo in a 75, but I bought the buttikoferi when he died, figured that would be a nice big wet pet and should be hardier than a FH. My FH had great water quality and a good diet and still got bloat. The only reason I’m gonna breed the peacocks is so I can make a little bread since I’m not working for now. I have a friend that works in the business, so I can sell some to him and a little on Craigslist. Probably won’t make much, but it should support my habit- I mean hobby lol

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I had my male in solo in a 75, but I bought the buttikoferi when he died, figured that would be a nice big wet pet and should be hardier than a FH. My FH had great water quality and a good diet and still got bloat. The only reason I’m gonna breed the peacocks is so I can make a little bread since I’m not working for now. I have a friend that works in the business, so I can sell some to him and a little on Craigslist. Probably won’t make much, but it should support my habit- I mean hobby lol
Haha FKA anybody? (Fish keepers anonymous). Yeah I hope to get to the point I could eventually breed fish for a living rather then it just being a hobby.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Haha FKA anybody? (Fish keepers anonymous). Yeah I hope to get to the point I could eventually breed fish for a living rather then it just being a hobby.
Lol if it wasn’t for my wife my house would be overflowing with tanks
ya if I could make enough to do it for a living that would be awesome. I know the local breeders in town and what they have, so I’m gonna pick something they don’t have and see how it goes.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Lol if it wasn’t for my wife my house would be overflowing with tanks
ya if I could make enough to do it for a living that would be awesome. I know the local breeders in town and what they have, so I’m gonna pick something they don’t have and see how it goes.
Kinda the same here. That's why I'm working on collecting a certain native specie that I just can't seem to find for sale online.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
People here all seem to like the same things, African cichlids, reefs, community fish, FH, and Oscars LoL
Yeah I think it's mainly do to them being "exotic" fish rather then something you could catch yourself in your local pond. I still think tho that native fish species should deserve some time in the spotlight in the hobby. Personally I'm working on trying to catch some orange spotted sunfish so I can start a breeding project with em. Seems like all the web sights that sell US native fish don't have that specific specie for sale for some reason even with how beautiful they are.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Yeah I think it's mainly do to them being "exotic" fish rather then something you could catch yourself in your local pond. I still think tho that native fish species should deserve some time in the spotlight in the hobby. Personally I'm working on trying to catch some orange spotted sunfish so I can start a breeding project with em. Seems like all the web sights that sell US native fish don't have that specific specie for sale for some reason even with how beautiful they are.
I agree, there’s some awesome natives. Have you checked Jonas, Sachs or Zimmermans? eBay and aquabid also have natives

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I agree, there’s some awesome natives. Have you checked Jonas, Sachs or Zimmermans? eBay and aquabid also have natives
Yup and not a single one has the specie that I want lol. I've checked their sites a few times. Lol the only hard part of catching em wild is just that they can be extremely hard to find. They tend to like rocky shallows but often get out competed by green sunfish or bluegill for territory. Granted it doesn't help when the males max size it only 5in and the females max out around 3-4in.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Yup and not a single one has the specie that I want lol. I've checked their sites a few times. Lol the only hard part of catching em wild is just that they can be extremely hard to find. They tend to like rocky shallows but often get out competed by green sunfish or bluegill for territory. Granted it doesn't help when the males max size it only 5in and the females max out around 3-4in.
Bluegill and green sunfish are beasts , you might want to call Jonas, I know sometimes they can get stuff that isn’t listed if you ask

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Bluegill and green sunfish are beasts , you might want to call Jonas, I know sometimes they can get stuff that isn’t listed if you ask
Might be worth a try atleast. Yeah ik I've been catching quite a few wild hybrid sunfish lately. Mostly green sunfish mixed with pumpkinseed. Not a bad looking hybrid tho.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store