Picking the right tank size for a solo fish

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Might be worth a try atleast. Yeah ik I've been catching quite a few wild hybrid sunfish lately. Mostly green sunfish mixed with pumpkinseed. Not a bad looking hybrid tho.
Pumpkin seeds are cool, any pics of he hybrid?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Pumpkin seeds are cool, any pics of he hybrid?
Sadly no. Didn't think about it until I got done eating em lol so no point in taking a pic of an already filleted fish. I'll definitely remember to do so next time I go out tho. They seem pretty common in that lil pond.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Sadly no. Didn't think about it until I got done eating em lol so no point in taking a pic of an already filleted fish. I'll definitely remember to do so next time I go out tho. They seem pretty common in that lil pond.
Haha that’s true
, just curious, when you bred your Africans, when did you separate the fry from the female? I’ve kept fish forever but this is my first venture into breeding anything

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Haha that’s true
, just curious, when you bred your Africans, when did you separate the fry from the female? I’ve kept fish forever but this is my first venture into breeding anything
Lol I never got anything out of em. I had Africans with SA and CA cichlids along with a giant gourami so yeah just too much chaos in the tank for the females to be comfortable. They still tried but after a few days of the females holding they'd just eat the eggs. Lol only luck I ever had in that tank with breeding was with the convicts but you can breed convicts in almost any situation. It sucked too because I had allot of eureka red peacocks that always wanted to breed but they were just too uncomfortable to carry it all the way thru.

I'll probably try again once I get my 80g fixed up and moved. It's got a couple cracks on the bottom pane that I got to patch up. Just need to get myself some more silicon and I'll be all set. This time I'm going to make it a species only tank other then maybe just a handful of cories and some bristle nose plecos for a clean up crew.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Lol I never got anything out of em. I had Africans with SA and CA cichlids along with a giant gourami so yeah just too much chaos in the tank for the females to be comfortable. They still tried but after a few days of the females holding they'd just eat the eggs. Lol only luck I ever had in that tank with breeding was with the convicts but you can breed convicts in almost any situation. It sucked too because I had allot of eureka red peacocks that always wanted to breed but they were just too uncomfortable to carry it all the way thru.

I'll probably try again once I get my 80g fixed up and moved. It's got a couple cracks on the bottom pane that I got to patch up. Just need to get myself some more silicon and I'll be all set. This time I'm going to make it a species only tank other then maybe just a handful of cories and some bristle nose plecos for a clean up crew.
That would make breeding a little tough,
I’ve had convict fry, but they would breed in a running garbage disposal. I have my holding female separately in a fry basket. When/if I get fry I’ll put them in a separate tanK, not gonna sell them since I’m sure they’re hybrids. But I’ve been looking at buying a breeder group to get started.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
That would make breeding a little tough,
I’ve had convict fry, but they would breed in a running garbage disposal. I have my holding female separately in a fry basket. When/if I get fry I’ll put them in a separate tanK, not gonna sell them since I’m sure they’re hybrids. But I’ve been looking at buying a breeder group to get started.
You could probably still take em to your lfs and just have em put in the mixed African tank. Most of those are hybrids anyways. Either that or put em on Craigslist for $2 a piece and sell em as mutts. Or just feed em to your larger predator fish if ya got any. It would still be worth growing up a few just to see how they turn out atleast. I'd be curious to see how they turn out atleast.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
You could probably still take em to your lfs and just have em put in the mixed African tank. Most of those are hybrids anyways. Either that or put em on Craigslist for $2 a piece and sell em as mutts. Or just feed em to your larger predator fish if ya got any. It would still be worth growing up a few just to see how they turn out atleast. I'd be curious to see how they turn out atleast.
Ya I’m gonna grow them out and if they look nice I’ll keep the best, maybe I could sell the rest if they look good, they should since all my males in breeding shape look awesome, If I get anything I’ll post pics

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
In a 3' tank, I would look for fish that stay a bit smaller than a flowerhorn. A shortbody flowerhorn would be a good option. A normal flowerhorn would outgrow the tank in around a year if purchased small, IMO.
If you are looking for the "wet pet" glassbanging fish that attacks you at all times through the glass, you won't be able to beat a shortbody flowerhorn in this tank size. But some other very interesting fish which would fit, but won't behave in the same way, would be:
Panamensis
Salvini
Convict types (amatitlania species - these could be kept in a pair or solo male)
Archocentrus centrarchus
Hericthys deppi
Here's my panamensis, he is a "solo male" cichlid who lives with a bunch of random schooling fish. He chases them around a lot and begs for food, I enjoy him quite a bit. He doesn't do the glass-banging, but still a rewarding pet.
View attachment 1417989
Second on the Panamensis. I kept a pair in a 3 foot tank (70 gallon) for a couple of years. Great fish. Had them with schooling fish which they mostly didn't bother. Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 1.27.55 AM.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store