Piebald and Creamsicle... what’s the difference?

JAX3000

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
Surrey
Rob does do rapps orders as well if your willing to wait... Pie bald is three + colours, usually orange, black and white. They can look gorgeous, my old boy rocky was gorgeous, miss that fish so much.
Well, I’m starting to think perhaps I should just go for piebald and see what’s happens, but to be honest, I’m really not keen on the piebald fish in the first reply to my original post... But a bit of black wouldn’t kill me. It would make the fish more unique in a way... if mine ended up like your Rocky, I’d be over the moon...! He was a beaut! What happened there if you don’t mind me asking?

I’ll see what Rob Johnson comes back with and go from there. I’m hell bent on getting a nice specimen first and colour is secondary and I know he does top notch fish, so... and no, I can wait for a Rapps order... I can be veeeery patient for the right fish I just want to know I have a source for a fish before I get the setup running...

Thanks again for your help.

JAX3000

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
Surrey
By most definitions, the term piebald is used to describe an animal having irregular patches of two colors, typically black and white. Most creamsicle Amphilophus morphs simply lack the black pigment producing cells (melanin), and are part of what is referred to as the "gold" morph by researchers.

I wrote the following several yrs ago which explains the "fading" or peeling process seen in this genus.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/faders-explained.396860/#post-4919223

Good luck with your new citrinellus, one of my all time favorite species.

Many thanks. I’ll give this a good read when I have time later on.

Much appreciated

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
He got a disease, it paralysed him and I had to euthanise him... It was the most emotional I've ever got about a fish, he was about 5yrs old.
I have his grandson but he is pure orange and about 7" ATM, very un impressive.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
FYI ...... unless you are buying an adult fish, piebald coloration will not be a guarantee. Often young Amphs that start out showing blotches of black, lose most or all of that as they mature. It's always a roll of the dice with color morphs within this genus. BTW - the chances of you finding an adult show the coloration of the fish shown in the first pic is almost zero, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. lol

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Lol agreed.... I've only had two pies and both were extremely lucky random finds.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
This was the other guy which I sold... What a mistake that was....

DSC_0752.JPG

JAX3000

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
Surrey
He got a disease, it paralysed him and I had to euthanise him... It was the most emotional I've ever got about a fish, he was about 5yrs old.
I have his grandson but he is pure orange and about 7" ATM, very un impressive.
Horrible! So sorry! And he was gorgeous!

JAX3000

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
Surrey
FYI ...... unless you are buying an adult fish, piebald coloration will not be a guarantee. Often young Amphs that start out showing blotches of black, lose most or all of that as they mature. It's always a roll of the dice with color morphs within this genus. BTW - the chances of you finding an adult show the coloration of the fish shown in the first pic is almost zero, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. lol
Yeah, I kind of like the fact I’m only increasing my chances by the parent colour, but that the outcome is uncertain... I probably aught to stop obsessing over colour!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store