Piebald and Creamsicle... what’s the difference?

JAX3000

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
Surrey
Ok, so anyway, it’s all sorted...
Rob Johnston came up trumps.
He can get what I want after all, but too soon, so I’ll have to wait till next time, which is fine...
Now I have my fish supplier lined up I can focus on getting the tank set up in the meantime. Then all I need to do is cycle it and we’re on.
No idea when the next cota order will be, but I can wait.
I feel so much more comfortable now I understand the colouration thing a bit better.
I need some big round stones, a large branch and some sand...!
See you in the Setup and Filtration section :D
Thanks again for all your help already. I’m finding this a very friendly helpful place to be and I’m so pleased I joint MFK...!
Can’t wait to share some photos / videos of what I come up with...!

Reactions: mattison187

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
With a midas in a 90 gallon, you might want to reconsider using sand. A very thin layer of smooth gravel will be far more user friendly on your filter impellers. Just something to think about.

JAX3000

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
Surrey
With a midas in a 90 gallon, you might want to reconsider using sand. A very thin layer of smooth gravel will be far more user friendly on your filter impellers. Just something to think about.
Makes sense... thanks

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
I tend to think of creamsicle as orange and while w/ clear lines of separation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't consider my fish below to be creamsicle. Someone earlier asked about COTA. They didn't have creamsicle, but did have orange/while listed as mostly orange. Below are pics of when I got it and what it looks like after a while. First is June of 2016 at 5" Total length - not too impressive. Next is only three months later, Third is of February of 2017, and then last is August of 2017. I'll have to get some updated pics - likely around 10.5" now. Midas, colored 5 inch.jpg Midas 9-11-2016.JPG Barred Midas 2 2-16-2017.JPG Midas 1, 8-2-17.JPG

Reactions: dan518 and JAX3000

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
100% Creamsicle, and nice looking fish.

JAX3000

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
Surrey
Beautiful looking fish...

Interestingly, I noticed the larger sized COTA Midas are listed as “mostly orange with a little white”, but I also saw some in a video Rob posted on Facebook which are very different in colour. Far more how you describe “orange and white with clear lines of separation” and in fact, mostly white, which surprises me, as it seems back to front that they’d be more white when younger?! I’ll try to upload the photos which are screenshots of the video. I asked and he said yes, these are the 3” ones. I don’t know if the larger ones are from different parents of if they’ve been selected as the most orange, or what...

I guess my next question(s) would be how likely is it a fish so small with so little colour would hold on to much at all by the time it had matured and finished peeling? And am I correct to assume those with the paler orange colour will remain paler? In which case I’d try to select those with darker orange / red...

This is the whole listing from COTA for reference;

Amphilophus Citrinellum 3" 12.00 Lake Arenal, Costa Rica strain, F1 with white/piebald parents

4" 20.00

5-6" 45.00 Mostly Orange with a little white

And here are the little fellas...! Cute! If they stayed like this, they’d be great!

I’m in grave danger of massively overthinking this and I’m inclined now just to say sod it, I’ll take 6 of the little ones and see what happens...

01B1B76A-069E-41E4-832E-6CA468A8BFBA.png

3CFDF52B-016A-49C6-8D3D-589E0FC5C295.png

CDE1F9CE-0FF6-4CCE-AF74-B04DB981F5BA.png

E5A15B74-6C16-49E9-9A89-30E7E9D071DF.png

5767A145-66AC-46FD-8600-47AF80D52A95.png

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Beautiful looking fish...

Interestingly, I noticed the larger sized COTA Midas are listed as “mostly orange with a little white”, but I also saw some in a video Rob posted on Facebook which are very different in colour. Far more how you describe “orange and white with clear lines of separation” and in fact, mostly white, which surprises me, as it seems back to front that they’d be more white when younger?! I’ll try to upload the photos which are screenshots of the video. I asked and he said yes, these are the 3” ones. I don’t know if the larger ones are from different parents of if they’ve been selected as the most orange, or what...

I guess my next question(s) would be how likely is it a fish so small with so little colour would hold on to much at all by the time it had matured and finished peeling? And am I correct to assume those with the paler orange colour will remain paler? In which case I’d try to select those with darker orange / red...

This is the whole listing from COTA for reference;

Amphilophus Citrinellum 3" 12.00 Lake Arenal, Costa Rica strain, F1 with white/piebald parents

4" 20.00

5-6" 45.00 Mostly Orange with a little white

And here are the little fellas...! Cute! If they stayed like this, they’d be great!

I’m in grave danger of massively overthinking this and I’m inclined now just to say sod it, I’ll take 6 of the little ones and see what happens...

View attachment 1288658

View attachment 1288659

View attachment 1288660

View attachment 1288661

View attachment 1288662
I like these guys!! This is what I was thinking of when I thought creamsicle

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store