Pink tail chacleus in 45?

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
I'm partial to congo tetras, not nippy if you keep them fed, you can keep just a few, don't need a large school, nice looking, especially males with their fins. Not regionally correct to SA, but neither are barbs, danios, loaches, or quite a few other common fish. I've also kept emperor tetras with angels. Emperors more sensitive ime, but I like them also and didn't find them nippy if you keep them fed.
If my angelfish went after phantom tetras, I think it will go after the congos tetras since the ones at my lfs are small.

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Columbian tetra maybe? Grow plenty big, school well, ravenous eaters, and in the 2 years ive had them i think ive had one nipped tail fin. On one of the tetra never my cichlids

LCT8

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
Anyone here know the growth rate of pink tail chalceus are? and would it be better to put them in a pond instead of a tank

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Mine went from 3" to his adult 10" in about two and a half years. Once he reached his max length he seemed to start to fill out then and get some girth on him too. He's quite a chunk now.

They are one of my favourite fish. He just keeps himself to himself and lurks amid the top 6" of my 360g. When food is thrown in he instantly comes to life. They have a real turn of speed and this is the main reason they require a good length of a tank.

Mine used to be in a 6x2x2 which you'd think would be ideal for a chalceus which max out at 10-11". But even in that tank he could be skittish and dart all over the tank like a loony, and believe me, they can jump, a good lid is a must with these fish ime. Since he's been moved to a 360g he's just completely chilled all the time, never any darting about or going mad. So bigger environment the better for these fish.

What are the dimensions to your pond, and more importantly, does it have a net over?

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Anyone here know the growth rate of pink tail chalceus are? and would it be better to put them in a pond instead of a tank
Mine went 4" to around 8-9" in a year and a half.

Open swimming space is a necessity for these fish. Im sure they would love a pond--seems to me their favorite prey are insects that land on the surface of the water.

LCT8

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
Mine went from 3" to his adult 10" in about two and a half years. Once he reached his max length he seemed to start to fill out then and get some girth on him too. He's quite a chunk now.

They are one of my favourite fish. He just keeps himself to himself and lurks amid the top 6" of my 360g. When food is thrown in he instantly comes to life. They have a real turn of speed and this is the main reason they require a good length of a tank.

Mine used to be in a 6x2x2 which you'd think would be ideal for a chalceus which max out at 10-11". But even in that tank he could be skittish and dart all over the tank like a loony, and believe me, they can jump, a good lid is a must with these fish ime. Since he's been moved to a 360g he's just completely chilled all the time, never any darting about or going mad. So bigger environment the better for these fish.

What are the dimensions to your pond, and more importantly, does it have a net over?
Ye I have a net but I want to take it off because I can’t see my clown loaches and all my other fish .-. My pond is 4x3 metres in length and width

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store