pipa pipa frogs

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
I had a question about food ideas for my pipa pipa frogs.

I bought at a bait n tackle earthworms, freshwater live shiners, fresh salt water sardines.

Now I am nervous that all this stuff might carry diseases.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

I put the sardines in the freezer and feel those would be alright.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I am clueless, Howie. All can state I had a pair for 1-2 years. They started out great. Then slowed down eating, then stopped altogether and perished. That was sad. I was feeding them shimp and frozen fish, cut appropriately.

I have a feeling it was the diet but I've never looked into it in earnest to get to the bottom of it.

FWIW, my problems with African dwarfs were similar.

Pipa.JPG Lyanas.JPG

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
Love that photo! Your pipa was big! I got a group for fun while I wait for my other fish to come around!
Trying to secure a freshwater Angler also in the mix.
Always loved pipa frogs. Remember getting a few when I was a little kid way back!
I think the fresh saltwater sardines should be good. The shiners and earthworms I am worried about.
I tried freeze dried krill but they spit it out.
Blood worms are a mess.
Thanks for your message!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I see. I had no problems getting all mine started on frozen. They started vigorously.

I must state too that having spoken with other keepers of African clawed dwarfs who had kept theirs many years and had no problem at all with feeding them and never had to bother pick out feed for them (they would eat most things), I also suspected some bacterial or viral infection was wiping mine out. But this of course is very hard for me to even remotely verify.

I tried the Africans about 5-6 times to no avail - always the same result only much, much faster than the first time(s) - which justifies the infection a little bit. Pipas I've only had once. Yes, they were palm-size.

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
Well I decided not to risk the worms.
They sure look tasty.
I washed them all off and put in a bucket lined with damp paper and fish flakes so I can purge them all out.
Then I was thinking after cleaning them out I will just freeze them.
Hopefully that would be enough to kill anu bacteria/parasites they might have.
No doubt it's not worth the risk of having the whole tank get infected.
They love those sardines!

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Sardines should be avoided due to salt content (amphibians are sensitive to this), shiners if quarantined are ok,and just toss in the earthworm bits.

Remember that they mostly eat insects so a diet of crickets,grasshoppers,waxworms,scuds,ghost shrimp is rather important​

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
Wow thank you so much!!!

I just fed a giant shiner to my biggest pipa and 5 minutes later he spit it out!

Legendary I feel I got lucky I won't feed those anymore!

What do you think about my idea of purging the earthworms for a couple days then freezing them? Same freezing freshwater bait minnows. Do you think parasites and bacteria can live after you freeze?

Always thanks for your great advice. I think you saved my frog I was getting ready to try a smaller shiner. I did not think about the salt.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Wow thank you so much!!!

I just fed a giant shiner to my biggest pipa and 5 minutes later he spit it out!

Legendary I feel I got lucky I won't feed those anymore!

What do you think about my idea of purging the earthworms for a couple days then freezing them? Same freezing freshwater bait minnows. Do you think parasites and bacteria can live after you freeze?

Always thanks for your great advice. I think you saved my frog I was getting ready to try a smaller shiner. I did not think about the salt.
Your welcome, with the earthworms you can purge them for 24 hours in a new substrate,after this you can place them in the refrigerator (alive) for several days to a week.

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
My pipa pipa frog is having some skin issueson it's back.
Not sure if this is normal after a year it looks like the start of a fungus infection to me has anyone have any ideas or seen something similar?

20190430_132122.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store