Pipe Sizing Charts and Flow Rates

Gobrian44

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2009
Around.....
What is the flow rate of your DIY sump for you piranha tank that has 1" piping?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Yes, they are pretty darn accurate. I would trust what Chompers has. You have to remember though, that every situation and every variation can cause it to be different. But, you'll be close enough.

cfloyd

Feeder Fish
Mar 29, 2011
GTA near Toronto
I have been working on my first sump plan. I made a siphon with 1" PVC.

The tank is 125 gallon. I will add another siphon of 1"PVC at other end of tank.

If I understand pipe sizing that would equal 600gph x 2

So a Mag-drive 12 would be correct?

q8vw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2011
Kuwait
Keep going on that thread!, I'm planning to make one overflow of 2" pipe Vertical for my 135 gallon tank, is it OK to use 800gph pump? with 1 inch output? or should i make it bigger?

And will the 2 inch vertical overflow sucks air into the sump? or it will be working perfectly? I will make it using the first diagram on the 1st post.

Thanks.

vwilliams1475

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
so i am looked around i dont understand one thing ...are both the designs safe for power outages? will they both restart one the power kicks back on to the pump in my sump ?

troj1992

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2011
Hertfordshire - England
Brilliant thread, exactly what im looking for :D

Finalizing my fish shed, and starting to work out pipework. Does your Excel document include gravity's effect on angled pipework....not just vertical? if not, do you have any equations/formula's which can help give me at least a rough picture of flow rates/distances/friction losses etc, any help would be most appreciated.

cypher1024

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Australia
Does anyone know if I can use the figures in this thread to size my DIY overflow box? I assume the horizontal flow numbers are the most applicable, since it won't have the height to achieve the vertical flow numbers.

I did some quick calculations and it looks like the flow rate is fairly consistent - around 7.96 gallons per minute per square inch of cross-sectional area. I'm using a Quiet One 5000 at around 5 feet of head, which should output about 900GPH. I'm not sure how much extra flow I should allow for. Would 25% be enough? That would require an overflow box capable of 1125GPH or 18.75GPM.

If everything else is right, that would mean I would only need 2.36 square inches of cross-sectional area in my overflow box. That doesn't sound like much. Is there any detriment to building the oveflow box far larger than it needs to be?

This guy suggests that the outer section of the overflow box should be lower than the inner section but he doesn't provide any solid reasons for it. Almost all the overflow boxes I've seen have the inner and outer sections at an equal height. As far as I can tell, the flow would be the same in the uneven configuration (if not lower). Am I missing something?

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
Just wanted to come in here and say thank you to chompers and all who gave good info in this thread just put together my overflow and the numbers are accurate, I went with 1.25" pvc pipe and bought a 1000 gph pump which was adjustable for flow just in case. But she is wide open and working great thank you all I built my first diy filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store