Pipe Sizing Charts and Flow Rates

epond83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Duvall, WA
Not sure the best place for this but here goes, on the first post there is a picture of a diy overflow, loop inside and outside of the tank. I was wondering if the height of part 'F' made a difference in relation to 'E-E' inside the tank? I know it has to be above it but by how much? Does it affect flow or noise?

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
I have (1) 560gph and (1) 1800gph pump on my sump. Total 2360gph minus the head loss. with a diy 1.5" overflow.....?? It's working....

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Hmm Im setting up a new 180 & my sump pump is rated for 1600 gph and theres gonna be about 4 feet of head height. I was thinking of doing 1 1.2 and according to the first page that should be prety close. Should I install a vlave on the return line to make adjustments if needed?

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
I'm pushing more than 2k on my 1.5" over flow.

I'm using the black ABS piping.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Well hell that make the chart inaccurate then. What size ya think I should go with?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
The difference between what he is running and what the chart says is based on siphon. Full siphon flow will pull a lot more that just gravity draining. The numbers arebased strictly on the cross sectional numbers of the pipe. Other factors can play into it, but the numbers provided are a good"safe" number.

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
The difference between what he is running and what the chart says is based on siphon. Full siphon flow will pull a lot more that just gravity draining. The numbers arebased strictly on the cross sectional numbers of the pipe. Other factors can play into it, but the numbers provided are a good"safe" number.
Fair enough :) gonna tackle this job when the painting is all done and the stand is more stable. Ill keep updating also. One thing you dont see to many questions asked about is doing a water change. When I shut everything off and take out all the water and refill. The thing keeps its prime right? All i gotta do is turn it back on?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store