Piraiba ID?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Which one tho? Peru or Brazil? I dont think its a suri cause of the tip of the snout does not look like a suri
The general consensus at this point seems to be that we're data deficient to be able to determine that with reliability. thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter please drop some knowledge on me if I'm mistaken in this.

Btw just want to share this new bad boy at the main tank with my forskahliis. It's not a piraiba. But it also bites ;)

View attachment 1404446

View attachment 1404447

View attachment 1404448
Oof. Good luck with that! ??

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nice wolf. Your pictures would get the proper visibility in the appropriate forums and your time and effort would be better appreciated.

Which one tho? Peru or Brazil? I dont think its a suri cause of the tip of the snout does not look like a suri
Peru is merely upstream from Brazil. IDK if there is a reliable way or any way to tell. I don't think so. If there is, IDK it. GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101 seems to think he could tell differences.

Jiyowel

ATF Master in Training
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Chicx: The general consensus at this point seems to be that we're data deficient to be able to determine that with reliability. thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter please drop some knowledge on me if I'm mistaken in this.

J: I see. Let's wait for him to be bigger maybe it will be easier to be identified

Chicx: Oof. Good luck with that! ??

J: Will it kill my fatfs? :(

TBTB: Nice wolf. Your pictures would get the proper visibility in the appropriate forums and your time and effort would be better appreciated.

J: Thanks brother! Hehe

TBTB: Peru is merely upstream from Brazil. IDK if there is a reliable way or any way to tell. I don't think so. If there is, IDK it. GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101 seems to think he could tell differences.

J: Maybe let's wait for him to get bigger. I think sp peru is greyish color and sp brazil is darker imo

TBTB:
-- please use 15 minute grace period to add to or edit your posts
-- please do not type your replies within the quoted posts
-- please consider creating your own thread for the each type of your fish in the appropriate forums (ATF and wolfe discussion doesn't belong in this forum at all and not in a thread that's not yours) and ask all your questions there and update the threads regularly so we all and you too enjoy your fish and your hobby with you and learn together

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Chicxulub

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Will it kill my fatfs? :(
I mean, ATF are the living version of the lures people use to catch wolves, and behave in exactly the same manner. I wouldn't mix them. ?‍♂

Maybe let's wait for him to get bigger. I think sp peru is greyish color and sp brazil is darker imo
They're the same rivers. Filamentosum are migratory. Someone who claims there's a difference is going to have to do a LOT to convince me that there's actually a difference. This is shaping up, imo anyway, to be the same thing as some people insisting that some juruense are a different thing because of *reasons* that no one can ever agree to.

I think this whole locality thing in migratory species from one long river system is just an excuse to build hype to sell a fish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Nice wolf. Your pictures would get the proper visibility in the appropriate forums and your time and effort would be better appreciated.

Peru is merely upstream from Brazil. IDK if there is a reliable way or any way to tell. I don't think so. If there is, IDK it. GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101 seems to think he could tell differences.
Their difference as I mentioned in post #5. They are very distinguishable on the head especially the snout & the area around the eyes. To me, Peru & Brazil are the same variants because they share the same stretch of river, the adults will travel uphill to breed, which one of the migratory root are Peru. But it have been recorded juvenile Suriname specimen found on Manaus, Brazil but if I remember correctly it could probably be a cf. Peru (duck bill), square shaped mouth

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Their difference as I mentioned in post #5. They are very distinguishable on the head especially the snout & the area around the eyes. To me, Peru & Brazil are the same variants because they share the same stretch of river, the adults will travel uphill to breed, which one of the migratory root are Peru. But it have been recorded juvenile Suriname specimen found on Manaus, Brazil but if I remember correctly it could probably be a cf. Peru (duck bill), square shaped mouth
Thank you much for this, bro.

In post #5 you had addressed the difference between Suriname versus Peru/Brazil. Here, I tagged you on the question about Peru versus Brazil. At some point you were posting angler's adult piraiba photos you found online from all three places and discussing the differences you thought you observed between all three. Hence, my tag.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store