Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Piraiba pictures

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by tyjo1334, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Sunnyboy

Sunnyboy MFK Members

Pirachat Rattananon
      Jul 13, 2018
      Interesting. Your idea of seasonal availability definately corresponds with how the piraiba are imported to Thailand only once a year and noticeably, within a 3 months range apart in terms of time of the year. Maybe there are other factors are running, but a possibility stands it could be accredited to how they are caught indeed. The fact that piraiba (like the dourada) are migratory and would form schools in such manner that would also allow them to be captured in decent numbers, like you've explained. I have seen a similar migratory school of juveniles in Hemibagrus species, and they are relatively easy to catch.

I previously though that piraiba meat was valued however, so its new knowledge to me that they fetch low table fares locally.

amazonfishman likes this.
    2. amazonfishman

amazonfishman MFK Members

Trent
      Today at 11:41 AM
      Yeah I know the Piraiba migrate too but haven't seen as much data on them congregating in large numbers like I have for the Dourada, they could very well be doing it at the same time and same location at least in Suriname but for whatever reason the Dourada seem to be getting hit harder by fisherman than their big brothers. The prime time I would think to catch them if they were wild caught would be starting near the end of this month or early August through the end of September which is the drier season down there in Suriname. Quite different for the dry season in most of Brazil which doesn't start until late November thru January and I assume is similar for Peru based on what I see imported at that time of the year. That said I was there the last week of July carrying over into the first week of August and never once saw a baby Dourada or Piraiba in the bait nets but I believe this was due to us being near the starting point of the migration route and not the end.

It's not that it doesn't have any value it just isn't preferred from what I saw. The locals only ate small Piraiba if they were going to die from being foul hooked so as not to waste any viable meat. They actually preferred Tarpon (mind blown when I saw this since in the states no one would even fathom eating a Tarpon), Corvina, or Pirahna all of which are easily available where I was in Suriname about 50 miles inland from the coast. They don't have any Pseudoplatystoma in that area really, for the most part you have to go quite a ways further inland towards Wonotobo Falls to find them in decent numbers and same for the RTC's.

Sorry for the derail

#202 amazonfishman, Jul 13, 2018
      Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
      Sunnyboy and thebiggerthebetter like this.