Piraiba pictures

Sunnyboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Hi

From that other thread thebiggerthebetter cited here. After owning a rather obvious B. capapretum for a while, I got my hands on this guys. Its looking and behaving like a filamentosum, but I'd doubt that its the "real Mc Coy" filamentosum that fugupuff mentioned. Would love to hear input from you guys.

Both photos are the same fish I presume to be B. Filamentosum by the way.
20180707_072301.jpg

20180706_205616_002_01.jpg

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Hi

From that other thread thebiggerthebetter cited here. After owning a rather obvious B. capapretum for a while, I got my hands on this guys. Its looking and behaving like a filamentosum, but I'd doubt that its the "real Mc Coy" filamentosum that fugupuff mentioned. Would love to hear input from you guys.

Both photos are the same fish I presume to be B. Filamentosum by the way.
View attachment 1323676

View attachment 1323678
Yes, it is filamentosum.

Reactions: Sunnyboy

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
... but I'd doubt that its the "real Mc Coy" filamentosum that fugupuff mentioned...
What do you mean? What makes you state this? (Looking to learn.)

Reactions: Sunnyboy

Sunnyboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
What do you mean? What makes you state this? (Looking to learn.)
Haven't asked my importer yet but I assume from the bulk import that its a peruvian filamentosum.

We're all agreeing that by classification the fish I own would align itself towards being a filamentosum, but even then there are variation among the filamentosum themselves from different source locations , which fugupuff distinguishes. From what he has said so far I believe that the "true" filamentosum presented in Asian pet trade would be a wild variety from Suriname or Brazil, which fetches for a high price due to its difficulty in obtaining. On the other hand the Peruvian variety, which is what I guess I own, would be disregarded as actual piraiba despite being one in terms of scientific classification. These fish from Peru are most likely bred, as the importer obtained large quantities of small sized specimens (2-3 inches), and sold in a price similar to that of a capapretum's (at least in Thailand). I've heard rumours that both the bred fila and capa would've been a strain originating from Peru, although being secondhand unreliable data I'm not sure whether I'm accurate here.

And thats why I'm eager to learn from someone who's in the know on this.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Sunnyboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Apologies regarding my chronologically poor explanation. Anyways, summing it up, its technically a filamentosum, but not the hard-to-get kind.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Haven't asked my importer yet but I assume from the bulk import that its a peruvian filamentosum.

We're all agreeing that by classification the fish I own would align itself towards being a filamentosum, but even then there are variation among the filamentosum themselves from different source locations , which fugupuff distinguishes. From what he has said so far I believe that the "true" filamentosum presented in Asian pet trade would be a wild variety from Suriname or Brazil, which fetches for a high price due to its difficulty in obtaining. On the other hand the Peruvian variety, which is what I guess I own, would be disregarded as actual piraiba despite being one in terms of scientific classification. These fish from Peru are most likely bred, as the importer obtained large quantities of small sized specimens (2-3 inches), and sold in a price similar to that of a capapretum's (at least in Thailand). I've heard rumours that both the bred fila and capa would've been a strain originating from Peru, although being secondhand unreliable data I'm not sure whether I'm accurate here.

And thats why I'm eager to learn from someone who's in the know on this.
I think you have explained it well. Other than fugupuff fugupuff and perhaps vincentwugwg vincentwugwg and amazonfishman amazonfishman I am not sure who else could elucidate this issue. Even with these guys, I'd not count on complete sorting.

That the fila that come from Peru could be artificially bred is a novel thought to me. Or any fila for that matter. I assumed (without any grounds) that all fila are wild caught. Although Wes did speak of some suspected hybridization experiments.

In the US, Peru fila are generally 2x more expensive than capa, $80-$120 versus $200-$300, all small specimen, from 2"-3" to at most 4"-5".

Reactions: Dloks and Sunnyboy

Sunnyboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I think you have explained it well. Other than fugupuff fugupuff and perhaps vincentwugwg vincentwugwg and amazonfishman amazonfishman I am not sure who else could elucidate this issue. Even with these guys, I'd not count on complete sorting.

That the fila that come from Peru could be artificially bred is a novel thought to me. Or any fila for that matter. I assumed (without any grounds) that all fila are wild caught. Although Wes did speak of some suspected hybridization experiments.

In the US, Peru fila are generally 2x more expensive than capa, $80-$120 versus $200-$300, all small specimen, from 2"-3" to at most 4"-5".
It definitely seems like a possibility for me (but on equally as little ground) that they are bred, as I said earlier judging by the manner they are brought in. Suriname piraiba are brought in at almost 9" individually, often in a somewhat damaged state (broken barbels and fins) whilst Peruvian piraiba are imported at a small size in bulk, retaining perfect features which would've been unlikely if wild-caught at that size.

With little knowledge on how advanced Amazonian aquaculture is, I could only assume. We Thais are pretty well versed in breeding our local giant catfish species however, so its not out of the question for South America to be able to do so as well.

There is an awkward amount of guesswork from me though.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store