Piraiba pictures

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
Im just glad i read this thread before deciding to pay for one and the shipping! I think the retailers should be 100 percent sure on the fish there selling or at least advise that it may be one off 2 types before labeling. Im not suprised the op was adiment he had a filamentosum if thats what it was sold under your more likely going to question other members before a repatuable supplier.chances are then if buying a piraiba its going to be a cap. I think im going to try and get hold of a Brachyplatystoma rousseauxii they have size the nice colour sheen and hopefully not to easy to mis identify.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Aquascapeonline are advertising true piraiba catfish however the spots are larger than the eyesView attachment 1129288
Yeah, that fish is capapretum. The price reflects that, too. That fish is 97 lbs, which is about $150. A very fair price in fact. REAL B. filamentosum go for about $2500, which would be roughly 1625 lbs.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Im just glad i read this thread before deciding to pay for one and the shipping! I think the retailers should be 100 percent sure on the fish there selling or at least advise that it may be one off 2 types before labeling. Im not suprised the op was adiment he had a filamentosum if thats what it was sold under your more likely going to question other members before a repatuable supplier.chances are then if buying a piraiba its going to be a cap. I think im going to try and get hold of a Brachyplatystoma rousseauxii they have size the nice colour sheen and hopefully not to easy to mis identify.
All very agreeable... but on paper. In reality, it is never one way. It can be argued, also on paper, it is as much your responsibility as that of a vendor. Once you become a retailer, you will appreciate it fa-a-ar better. They have no time to ID every fish they sell or to delve into such intricacies that have been discussed here. They simply choose to repeat the name that starts with a local fisherman / collector / originator, then exporter, then importer, then maybe trans-shipper, etc. No one at any of these steps cares about the exact ID and name much and relay the responsibility unto the collector (locals should know their fish! And they should read taxonomic articles and keep on top of the ever changing and evolving field of ichthyo-taxonomy... :) ) and also relay the responsibility unto the customer. Many of these locals are simple folks, can't read their own language or speak English. They know what they call these fishes there and usually the same name applies to several look-alikes if such exist.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009