Piraiba: Suriname, Peru, Guyana, and Brazil - are there reliable ID differences?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hi lovers and keepers of Brachyplatystoma filamentosum, aka

-- Piraiba,
-- Kumakuma,
-- Pirá-aíba , Pirahiba, Piramutaba, Piranambu, Piratinga, Piriaba, Filhote, Bagre amarelo, Bagre branco, Bandeirinha, Cadete, Chumbadinha, Dourada, Dourado, Guirí, Jandiauva, or Urubarana (Brazil),
-- Piraiba, Pirá-aíva, Pirá-mbatá, Pirá-pará, Pirambihtambá, Piratinga, Dourado, Bagre blando (Argentina),
-- Torche, Pilau, Axakwan, or Letkaima (French Guiana),
-- Bagre blanco (Ecuador)
-- Blanco pobre (Venezuela)

The Sarge Chicxulub Chicxulub has resumed hard work on Brachyplatystoma ID thread, in his customary fine fashion as he had done for ATF, goonch, and others. We could only remain eternally indebted to him for giving MFK and MFKers such depth and substance, which is valued worldwide by our fellow fish heads.

The Drill-Fish-Nut-in-Chief Chicx has mounted an honorary calling upon the troops, the known ones and those who believe they can help too, to try and come up with a section on piraiba geographical ID nuances to be included in his write-up (with a proper acknowledgement)... whatever we can come up with and agree on at the current state of affairs, if anything.

It could be one sentence, like “we tried but failed to reach a consensus on anything”, one paragraph, or one page, etc.

In the interest of keeping our manicured glutes as dent- and scuff-free as possible, I propose we voluntarily step off this deep end and try it in earnest.

Special thanks to GiantFishKeeper101, who in a way has preemptively started a great thread on this topic https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...hyplatystoma-filamentosum-disscussion.709516/ but I’d like to attempt to have this thread be more structured in the hope that this thread will become more efficient and less time-consuming for all involved. We are soliciting only knowledge- and fact-bearing input while trivial or distracting posts would not be welcome.

If all you have are visuals of piraibas with a reliable origin info and no comments, these are welcome too. Label them clearly please.

I propose four geographical subsections – Suriname (S), Peru (P), Guyana (G), and Brazil (B). Let’s stick to this order when discussing all variants.

I propose two phases for this thread.

First, let’s each of us post our current understanding of differences and similarities in FOUR TRAITS between the FOUR GEO-VARIANTS (or 3, or 2 – whatever you think you can contribute, I can only try S versus P):

-- skeletal (head, snout, back, etc.),
-- fins, barbels, extensions,
-- pattern,
-- coloration,

in THREE SIZES:

-- under a foot
-- foot to foot and a half
-- two feet and over

and support each point with a visual aid - photos are best, videos, and drawings – of the actual piraibas each of us personally has kept or is keeping. Plus if so inclined, pictures from other sources can be included.

I suggest not reading the posts from others, except OP, until you will have posted yours so you are not swayed or prejudiced by the allegations of others.

After everyone makes their main post, I propose only then we proceed to discussing our differences, if any become obvious.

I’d like GiantFishKeeper101 to start us off, having just seen his most excellent effort with the drawings and because he is so much into this particular topic anyway.

Chicx and all would really appreciate the input from (in no particular order)
GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101
fugupuff fugupuff
H HELIOX
vincentwugwg vincentwugwg
fishtankphil fishtankphil
Rpul Rpul
Tripletail Tripletail
amazonfishman amazonfishman
Troy1015 Troy1015
Jonathan_G Jonathan_G
bobVillanueva bobVillanueva
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thank you, Viktor, for spearheading this project for me. I knew that if anyone would have his finger on the pulse of a hot subject in the Catfish world, it would be you.

The Brachyplatystoma thread is something that I wish to have done relatively soon, but I find that the developments that have taken place since I stopped being fairly active are slightly beyond me right now, and I was hoping for a thread to bring it all into focus. The locality data is something that seems prudent to include in the thread, should we be able to come to a consensus on it. :)

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Before this I used real photos to distinguished between the variants but it doesn't do justice since they all look the same. I only get to drew 3 variants that I can easily get reference to, that's why Guyana still absent. At the moment. So these drawings based on 2ft piraiba.

Brazil
IMG_20181126_135535.jpg
Gradually sloping heads, pointy snout, dark colours, spots developed at the central ribcage to dorsal to caudal, rusty spots developed below lateral line, medium torso

Peru
IMG_20181126_135426.jpg
Drastically sloping heads, somewhat shorter snout, lighter colours (silverery), bigger spots, spots developed around the heads to caudal, deeper body (makes it look fat & short)

Suriname
IMG_20181126_135446.jpg
Long straight snout in juvenile, slightly curved after hit certain sizes (probably due to occipital-skull spine getting higher as they grow), compressed heads, darker colours, small spots & spots running from head to caudal, fit torso

The drawings are not accurate, the fin mostly, I can only do so much without perfect reference. But aestheticly, body shaped, pretty accurate. There's difference in shoulder if you can notice.

In conclusion, I do think Peru's piraiba are from Brazil, adult would've much deeper body making it look like they're fat & short. Differ to true Brazilian, they have shark like body. Big belly with fit torso & tail, like a Suriname.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Add me on the list I’ll be posting update thread with mine

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Here's my recent findings about juvenile piraiba variants. Hope you can see the differences, 9" and below

Brazil
received_2242286616048028.jpeg
My first piraiba, RIP the bigger one.

Peru
IMG_20181126_141801.jpg
My newest addition that are allegedly Suriname, I do believe it's a Peru. Drastically sloping heads

Suriname
IMG_20181126_142102.jpg
I think its bigger than 9". But here's video of smaller one. Still different than Amazon river piraiba

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
B. filamentosum BRAZIL

6"
received_588928868220930.jpeg
9" right
received_2242286616048028.jpeg
12"
IMG_20181126_160727.jpg
14" - snout starting to bent
received_197253961208363.jpeg
21" - worse at this time
received_198123671077664.jpeg
24"
IMG_20181126_160936.jpg
The picture sc from youtube video, piraiba from Rio negro. Snout used in my drawings since mine already bent his snout. This is what it looks like if mine still completely intact, the most perfect lookalike to my piraiba
Screenshot_20181126_155405.jpg

Last edited:

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Hi lovers and keepers of Brachyplatystoma filamentosum, aka

-- Piraiba,
-- Kumakuma,
-- Pirá-aíba , Pirahiba, Piramutaba, Piranambu, Piratinga, Piriaba, Filhote, Bagre amarelo, Bagre branco, Bandeirinha, Cadete, Chumbadinha, Dourada, Dourado, Guirí, Jandiauva, or Urubarana (Brazil),
-- Piraiba, Pirá-aíva, Pirá-mbatá, Pirá-pará, Pirambihtambá, Piratinga, Dourado, Bagre blando (Argentina),

-- Lao-Lao is also a commonly used local name for this monster

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
Thanks for the tag I'll contribute what I can, let me dig through what I've got at the house and I'll provide a more in depth post soon.

Hi lovers and keepers of Brachyplatystoma Filamentosum, aka

-- Piraíba,
-- Kumakuma,
-- Pirá-aíba, Pirahiba, Piramutaba, Piranambu, Piratinga, Piriaba, Filhote, Bagre amarelo, Bagre branco, Bandeirinha, Cadete, Chumbadinha, Dourada, Dourado, Guirí, Jandiauva, or Urubarana (Brazil),
A couple potential changes/additions to the list:

Lau Lau, Piraíba (Suriname & Guyana) they use Piraíba more frequently than Lau Lau

Lechero (Columbia) https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11160-004-8362-7 due to some crazy gland Filamentosum and Rousseauxii evidently have

Kumakuma (Denmark)

I've only ever heard Bagre Amarelo in reference to Jaú, it means yellow catfish in
Portuguese

I know they differentiate Dourada as Rousseauxii and not Filamentosum in Brazil

Dourado is generally Salminus Maxillosus in Brazil

Filhote I would probably not list for a proper name simply because that is used to describe smaller Filamentosum generally under 100lbs and isn't exclusive to Filamentosum or catfish in general. It literally means puppy in Portuguese which is why they use it to describe small ones. I'm 50/50 on including it since it's so frequently associated with Filamentosum but at the same time not exclusive to them...

Thoughts?

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Thanks for including me in this thread as well. I wilo contribute whatever i can as fat as my personal exp with my suri Piariba. Besides it being as skittish if not more then the big gatf i have. Thankfully in a circular pond damage is min if any at all. As far as reliable visual characteristics, if one has seen several piaribas together u will be able to see a difference in shape and color/pattern on these fish. But i also believe it is not always that reliable. For examp mine is not as dark as others i see even tho it is a suri and not from Peru or Brazil. Shape is its give away. Snout shape and angle as well as thinner body frame and streamlining.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store