Piranha Tank Size

Justjoshinya

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2019
When I first got into piranha keeping my brother got me 5 dime size RBP, I had a 30 gallon tank and was a beginner to piranha not fish in general. When they got to the 3" mark the aggression really started and I lost my first one to cannibalism, then I had 4 and about a month or 2 later I came home from school and another one was missing a tail and had a large chunk missing from the belly by that evening I had only 3 left, the next day I bought a 55gallon tank and as I was setting up the tank and cycling the tank they ate yet another one the 2 remaining were now about 5" in a 55gallon but with only 2 there was a lot of aggression on the smaller one and he was chased constantly and remained hidden most times except feeding. I ended up selling those 2 to another P keeper who had a pygo shoal and bigger tank. I got a sanchezi after that and a bigger tank and personally like a solitary Serra over pygos unless I could have a 180g.

A 30 gallon is NOT recommended for pygos unless you want to see your money get eaten one by one until your left with 1. Or unless you plan to upgrade to a larger tank like a 75g withing the first few months I'd say 75g is minimum for 3 adult pygos. 55g I dont think would be good for more than 2 and with only 2 there is too much aggression on the smaller one. For a 30g you could keep 1 pygo but definitely would not be comfortable when it gets larger. If you can only have a 30g tank I'd get a baby serrasalmus it would be fine for a few years in a 30g as they grow slowly and can live a very long time.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store