Piraya Piranha Tank Size

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Bigger is always better. Bigger means faster growth and a healthier fish. It also means less work for you as the water params won't swing back and fourth. But in my opinion, one of the biggest reasons is money. Setting up tanks is expensive, ESPECIALLY big tanks. I spent over $2,000 [not including the tank or stand] getting everything to make my 325 gallon an amazing tank and that wasn't even with expensive lighting or gear; I mainly built everything myself.. including the filter. I'd say just buy a big tank now and save yourself the trouble down the road. Even if you resold the tanks after switching up you'd be losing a ton of money, tanks do not hold their value. Ex: my 325g new costs $3,000 + shipping.. I bought it and a stand slightly used for $600 + Gas money to go pick it up. Id even say, whether money is an issue or not, larger tanks are WAAAAAAAAAAY more fun to look at and to aquascape. You'd also need to do fewer water changes and tank maintenance after the initial set up. But in the end it all boils down to the happiness of the fish and if you have the ability to give something you might very well keep for 10+ years the biggest happiest home you can, then why not?
How long would a 125 last the Piraya? 5-6 years? If they grow to 10-12 inches in a year and then growing slows to say 1 inch (not sure on this correct me if I'm wrong), then it would take 5-6 years to get to 15 inches where he should go into a bigger tank at that point.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
So I could start a baby in a 125 gallon and if he looks like he needs less space I could always use a separator.

And is the 96Lx24Wx16H 160 gallon the same footprint as a 180? So if I had that custom made it would be pretty much the same as a 160 to the fish?
Exactly and a 96x24x16 is actually two feet longer than a 180 giving your guy even more room for fun or if you decided to go another route you could do a lot of other fish. A 180 is 72x24x24

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
How long would a 125 last the Piraya? 5-6 years? If they grow to 10-12 inches in a year and then growing slows to say 1 inch (not sure on this correct me if I'm wrong), then it would take 5-6 years to get to 15 inches where he should go into a bigger tank at that point.
I would say by the time he hit 10 to 12 inches he'd need a bigger tank. theyre not sharp turners and you wouldnt want him to hurt himself. Just because your tank is 18" wide doesnt mean you could have an 18" fish or even a 14" fish in it if its turn radius is ass.

Reactions: Matteus

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
I would say by the time he hit 10 to 12 inches he'd need a bigger tank. theyre not sharp turners and you wouldnt want him to hurt himself. Just because your tank is 18" wide doesnt mean you could have an 18" fish or even a 14" fish in it if its turn radius is ass.
but you seem like a caring fish owner, by the time you saw how bulky he looked at 11" you'd even tell yourself he looks cramped.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Aren't they supposed to get to 10-12 in the first year to a year in a half? I wouldn't be using the 125 for just a year would I?

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Aren't they supposed to get to 10-12 in the first year to a year in a half? I wouldn't be using the 125 for just a year would I?
You very well could be. That’s why I suggest just getting a bigger tank to start with so you’re not upgrading a year later haha

Reactions: The-Almighty-Zugs

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
I'm not sure yet what floor I will be moving onto. It will be whatever is available.

And so if I buy a baby, (I'm not actually sure where I can pick one of these up) what size tank would I start with? A 65? Won't he be needing a 125 by the time he's a year old? The 125 would last him a few years after that but eventually I would then have to put him in a 180.
Less space = more chances for death...

You could save couple hundred on tank, but fish also cost a couple hundred....

wrestler

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2009
delaware
I HAD 7 PIRAYA IN A 300 GAL THEY GREW FROM ABOUT 3" TO ABOUT 12" THE FIRST YEAR. LITTLE TO NO AGGRESSION. I MOVED THEM TO A 800 GAL AND IN THE NEXT THREE YEARS MOST WERE 18' TO 21" WITH LITTLE TO NO AGGRESSION. THEY NEED LOTS OF SPACE, FOOD AND WATER CHANGES. JUST A TID BIT THE LARGEST ONE WAS OVER 11LBS

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store