place your bets!!! dithers + grammodes

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Don't mind that person. He also believes that you don't actually need to do water changes more than once every couple weeks. Or was it months? Either way..

Feeder/dither fish are fun. ;) I have a tank of livebearers that I keep for my mom, and sometimes I'll drop in a couple Molly fry. The Oscar loves 'em.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Actually I am more experienced and educated about fish than you. You are still a fish noob kid.

Blue Demp

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2004
Minnesota
You will have better luck with Silver Dollars. Danios are fast, but grammodes are excellent predators and will eventually catch the danios. This usually happens at night.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Is there really any argument against Pyramid_Party here? Feeders and dithers are one thing, but just throwing revolving doors of random fish in with a predator fish... does anyone really support that kind of bone-headed ignorance? Isnt that the exact kind of behavior that people of MFK, which really seems to be on the cutting edge of modern fishkeeping, should be trying to move away from?
If someone came into a pet store and said they were going to do this, it would be in the LFS stories thread, and everyone would reply and say what a retard the guy is.

The fact that one person would think of this, and that other people would support it, blows my mind.

Let's try to keep in mind that we are dealing with living animals here. This isnt a video game where you are throwing digital fish in with other digital fish. The double standards against fish really floor me sometimes... if someone was in the reptile forum posting about feeding random Snake species to Monitors, just to see how long they'd last, the --storm would be smellable from here.

lungfishlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2010
UK
people are missing the point of this thread - the op is trying to find suitable dithers not just spending cash on fish to see them suffer.

felixxx

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2010
england
^ thankyou! I selected the deceased because i thought they would survive! My fish cost enough to feed as it is!

Dayvydp

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
CTEX
Is there really any argument against Pyramid_Party here? Feeders and dithers are one thing, but just throwing revolving doors of random fish in with a predator fish... does anyone really support that kind of bone-headed ignorance? Isnt that the exact kind of behavior that people of MFK, which really seems to be on the cutting edge of modern fishkeeping, should be trying to move away from?
If someone came into a pet store and said they were going to do this, it would be in the LFS stories thread, and everyone would reply and say what a retard the guy is.

The fact that one person would think of this, and that other people would support it, blows my mind.

Let's try to keep in mind that we are dealing with living animals here. This isnt a video game where you are throwing digital fish in with other digital fish. The double standards against fish really floor me sometimes... if someone was in the reptile forum posting about feeding random Snake species to Monitors, just to see how long they'd last, the --storm would be smellable from here.

I agree.
To the OP:
The biggest issue is the fact you're finding it amusing that the fish are being killed. I don't think there are any issuses regarding the use of fish as dithers as many people do it, but to blatantly 'place bets' is beyond me. Regardless of whether the bets are real or not.

felixxx

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2010
england
Well please suggest some dithers you know will DEFINITELY not get eaten within the space of typing three lines and i'll end this thread now!

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Definitely not get eaten, is not the point. Dithers are a good tool to keep the behavior of fish natural and active, if done right. Giant Danios would probably be a good choice. A big school of them.

I'm not 100% sure, but arent Garras bottom-dwelling Cyprinids similar to Flying Fox or CAE? If so, I dont see how they could be expected to survive large predatory Cichlids.

I might be wrong though, so dont quote me.

felixxx

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2010
england
I selected them mainly because they were a fast shoaling species. I also thought surface dwelling species would me more vunerable to predation from below. Giant danios may have to be my next candidate, i just want to see the grammmodes leave his pipe!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store