Planiceps aka firewood cat

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Sorry to hear sucks it's so hard to keep such a gorgeous fish obviously there's something we can't replicate from the wild.

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
Sorry to hear sucks it's so hard to keep such a gorgeous fish obviously there's something we can't replicate from the wild.
Just sucks because I always like to know possible cause and reason. I got this fish at 6 and measured him after death he was a little under 8.5 and I don't get what could have happen and his tankmates are still eating and thriving well.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Very sad to hear this.

Worth checking the nitrate on the tank with a high quality drip test, not dip strips. I think sometimes nitrate is the unexplained killer for sensitive fish.

Reactions: herman moorr

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sorry for the loss.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Well here is too a final update and end of this firewood cat journey. I just updated this and all was well. Well 3 days ago this fish took a turn for the worst...swimming uncontrollably and twitching behavior. Moved him to a 120 by himself. By second day I thought I was on the right track again because the fish ate and was acting less weird. Today fish stayed near the top swimming and the twitch was back. Did water change this afternoon hoping to reverse this behavior. Just went to the fish room about 15 minutes ago to check on him and he's dead. Very disappointed but I knew the risk when I purchased. Sucks but it comes with the hobby.
Just sucks because I always like to know possible cause and reason. I got this fish at 6 and measured him after death he was a little under 8.5 and I don't get what could have happen and his tankmates are still eating and thriving well.
This whole ordeal sounds exactly!!! like my experience too, which I had mentioned earlier. Neither do I know why I can't keep this fish. Tried two times with two and four fish. But I am at peace with it. Gotta pick my battles and at least get all the low hanging fruit right.

It is puzzling indeed. I thought my situation was unique but now I see that I am not alone. bobVillanueva bobVillanueva - thoughts?

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
This whole ordeal sounds exactly!!! like my experience too, which I had mentioned earlier. Neither do I know why I can't keep this fish. Tried two times with two and four fish. But I am at peace with it. Gotta pick my battles and at least get all the low hanging fruit right.

It is puzzling indeed. I thought my situation was unique but now I see that I am not alone. bobVillanueva bobVillanueva - thoughts?
Yes I definitely understand about picking your battles lol. I can usually pin point cause of situations like this one but with this guy no such luck. And that’s what kills me but at this the end of the day these are wild animals and we may not be able to replicate all required conditions, etc. Thought about trying another at first but I think I’ll pass and venture Into other cat species.

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yes I definitely understand about picking your battles lol. I can usually pin point cause of situations like this one but with this guy no such luck. And that’s what kills me but at this the end of the day these are wild animals and we may not be able to replicate all required conditions, etc. Thought about trying another at first but I think I’ll pass and venture Into other cat species.
Agreed. Learning from experience is the most important part of the experience in my book too. It's just there is no shortage of things to be learnt but I get it, it bugs me too - not knowing why, not even having any guesses with any kind of ground. Oh well.

If I ever come across a larger one, I will most definitely try again. My guys were 1.5" (4 of them) and ~3" (2 of them). I think neither should you give up so easy. I mean in the long run.

There are things that could be done experimenting-wise, e.g., setting up a "sterile" tank just for a new firewood, free from any biological contamination from any other tank or fish. Could be done in a glove box too. Just kidding.

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
Viktor if you're looking for a large one there is one available at the moment on the east coast at 26" but the price is rough at $750. http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcatfish&1507048871

Jeff Rapps has some 6" for $125 and is a vendor on here TangledupinCichlids.

I've done business with both people and have always received quality fish.

As far as cause of death on the Planiceps what are your water parameters? Do you treat with copper ever? powerhead or any flow in the tank/air stones?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks, Trent!

Viktor if you're looking for a large one there is one available at the moment on the east coast at 26" but the price is rough at $750. http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcatfish&1507048871
*****That's a sweet one but out of my range price-wise.

Jeff Rapps has some 6" for $125 and is a vendor on here TangledupinCichlids.
*****Too small to be tried again for my purposes.

I've done business with both people and have always received quality fish.
*****Me too.

As far as cause of death on the Planiceps what are your water parameters?
*****Ammonia and nitrite zero ppm. Nitrate 20-50 ppm. pH 7.4. Temp varies seasonally, from 72 F to 90 F as the extremes. Hardness 3-5 degrees both KH and GH.

Do you treat with copper ever?
*****Never.

powerhead or any flow in the tank/air stones?
*****Very strong but directed return from the filter, 2500 GPH into a 240 gal tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store