Planning First Big DIY Systems

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Today I made new lids for the brackish sump and for the patio tank and for its sump.
1564631621431.jpg

20190731_204803.jpg

The white Lids are 0.02 in multicellular poly sign board panels and the clear Lids are 0.01 in lexan polycarbonate.

Reactions: islandguy11

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I still have one 30 tall running with a 10g sump. It's population consists of 2 Serpae Tetra, 5 or 6 mixed corys, a 4" albino BN Pleco and a 5" high-fin pleco; plus an assortment of mystery, nerite, Japanese trapdoor, & ramshorn snails.

I want to just dump the entire contents into the 125, and sump contents into its sump, but I think the tetras will be eaten. I could put them in the patio tank, but there are two convicts and Photon the world's darkest malawi peacock. They may do the same.

The Serpae tetras have been with me about 3 years, and one is very fancy with tall fins and a double tail. I may just keep him in a 5g with a snail, and let the other one be consumed. Those two tetras killed off their cohort (there were 10 in 2016) so they may be able to survive the mbunas, but I'm not confident at all.

I also increased the standpipe dia on the primary overflow from 1.5" to 2" which makes a huge difference in drainage rate. I can run the pump quite fast without flooding the tank. I will do the same with the emergency drain, as it is nearly as small.

Last edited:

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
(My previous post was unclear. I changed the standpipes on the brackish tank. It runs great now, though I struggled with leaks and rebuilt one twice to get it dry.)

Well, today is the day. I finally stripped down the last 30 tall and last 10, and retired them to the garage sale pile.

This is the end, finally, of my tank moving and system improving, which I started when I retired in 2017. I am now running two 55's, a 75, and a 125, and this is as big as I think it's going to be henceforth. OK, there's a 5 with a betta and a molly nursery 5g too. They will eventually go, but they are no problem to maintain for now.

I'm having a celebratory drink and feeling good about the move today. The albino pleco, and the hi-fin pleco went in the 125, and the Serpae, and corydoras all went in the patio tank.

Everyone is getting along well, and I don't see any aggression from the convicts or the malawi peacock.

I now have two 30's, a 16, three 10s and a 5 gal, plus 4 stands for next week's garage sale.

Soooo . . . that's basically then end of all the planning, and execution, and thus this thread.

incredibleMrLimpet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2019
i have question i have a 75gal and 2×15gal , i wanna strip all three down and create 1 crafty tank i also have a 6ft×3ft slab of plexiglass need some ideas & suggestions

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store